Born a Crime: Stories from a South African Childhood, by Trevor Noah

ahmoda's review against another edition

كتاب ملهم جداً، كانت هدية ممتازة من قارئ عزيز، و كنت قد سمعت عن ترشيح بيل جيتس لهذا الكتاب من قبل.

خرجت بالعديد من المعلومات التي لم أكن أعلم عنها شيئاً في جنوب إفريقيا، مثل نظام الاستعمار، و نظام العبيد، و النظام الداخلي العنصري الذي تجاوز كل حدود العقل.

كيف في مثل هذا الجو البغيض أن تخرج إمرأة خارقة تتحدى الأعراف والقوانين، وتتعلم و تعمل وتستقل بنفسها، وتعلم ابنها تعليماً رائعاً، تعلمه أن يصبح رجلاً، أن يفهم الحياة، أن يعامل المرأة فيه حياته أياً كانت باحترام.

علاقة جميلة جداً علاقته بأمه، كانوا أصدقاء، كانوا سنداً لبعضهم البعض حتى النهاية.

أصبح من لاشيء إلى أن يكون من أشهر stand up comedy في أمريكا.

كتاب مؤلم لكن الكاتب بأسلوبه الساخر يجعل الرحلة سهلة، و مليئة بالضحكات. وسط تلك الرحلة ستفهم معنى الحب، معنى التعليم، معنى السعي، معنى الإصرار، معنى تربية الأطفال. ستكتشف زيف المجتمعات جامعة و زيف احترامهم للمرأة، سواء كانت مجتمعات متقدمة أو متأخرة، متدينة أو علمانية.

كتاب أنصح بقراءته بالطبع.

أحمد فؤاد

megantee's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

spookypotatochip's review against another edition

Wow, this book was incredible. I guess I thought this was going to focus on how he grew up but then started his career, but it focuses entirely on his adolescence. I learned so much about the apartheid and post-apartheid South Africa. I never realized how racism and class in post-apartheid SA is so similar to the USA…the places and situations he was describing sounded like it was coming out of present day America, even though he’s referring mainly to the late 80s and 90s SA. I feel like South Africa, and Africa is general, gets overlooked in schools everywhere. Trevor Noah touches shares his experiences on growing up, politics, culture, language, and everything else you can think of. But at the very heart of it it’s about love and family. Really wanna watch more of The Daily Show after knowing about everything this man has went through. He’s so well spoken and thoughtful.

fictionalyss's review against another edition

*Book Riot Read Harder Challenge 2018* [A celebrity Memoir]/[A book set in or about one of the five BRICS countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, or South Africa)]

YES! Wow, this is a very fun and entertaining way to learn about Apartheid, and immerse yourself in the culture of a third world country. It deals with themes of racism/tribalism, domestic violence, crime, various devices of oppression, and just the fun and wildness of being a kid.
Admittedly, the writing is very conversational and at a low reading level.
However, Trevor Noah himself reads the audiobook and that makes all the "And I was like..." and repetitions of dialogue make all the more sense.

nicfahey's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

andipants's review against another edition

I went in expecting a standard comedian's memoir — funny childhood stories, awkward teenage years, how-I-got-where-I-am-now kind of stuff — but this was so much more than that. It was often very funny (I was definitely laughing out loud on the bus in a few places), but there were also very serious, heartfelt parts, and more than a little history and cultural analysis for those of us (I'm guessing most Americans) who aren't super well-versed in South African history. It's a perspective you don't often get in American pop culture, and definitely eye-opening. So if you like your amusing anecdotes to have a little more meat on their bones than your standard celebrity puff, this is definitely the book for you.

hannahchase's review against another edition

funny reflective fast-paced

dianis34's review against another edition

Book 2 for the #Avatar:The Last page turner Readathon.
Kingdom: Earth.
Prompts:

✓ Read a book with a green/brown cover. ((im pretty sure the t-shirt of the mural is green))
✗ Read a book with nature on the cover.
✓ Read a book with a black MC by a black author.
“He's like an exotic bird collector... he only wants a woman who is free because his dream is to put her in a cage.”

Please listen to this audiobook.

raebeen's review against another edition

emotional funny informative inspiring reflective

kaja_op91's review against another edition