Long Division, by Kiese Laymon

nina_serrianne's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

heypretty52's review

challenging emotional reflective medium-paced

ianbic's review

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

i need to give it another read to put the pieces together,

melirose1998's review against another edition

funny mysterious reflective fast-paced

wigginsblake's review against another edition

Unlike anything I've ever read. If you're looking for something straightforward, this is not for you, but if you're willing to give in to Kiese Laymon's writing, it is extremely rewarding.

chickiebean_loves_books's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

Five things about Long Division by Kiese Laymon 4/5⭐️s

1. You’ve never read anything exactly like this book and yet it creates an immediate feeling of familiarity paired with a sense of unease.
2. It’s Alice In Wonderland meets Back to the Future meets Beloved meets The Invisible Man meets Catcher In the Rye.
3. I really loved City’s voice and the almost stream of consciousness play by play storytelling he immersed us.
4. I enjoyed the inclusion of the mysterious book, Long Division and how Laymon uses this device to create a playing field upon which to allow the characters, events, and reader romp through multitudes of meta cognitive layers.
5. Whatever this book is making you feel at any given moment, whether you’re laughing, confused, ashamed, terrified, disgusted, awed....it does so with intensity.
6. Advice - come to this book with no expectations or preconceived ideas. Let it guide you. See where you end up.

haudurn's review against another edition

This book has rich characters who are haunted by history as they grow. I fell in love with City and his grandma.

rachel_from_avid_bookshop's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense fast-paced

Kiese Laymon's novel Long Division debuted in 2013 and has been revised and re-released. This novel contains two interconnected stories about one Mississippi town during three different years (2013, 1985, 1964) that reveal the intricately connected story of four Mississippi teenagers. Laymon uses time travel as a plot device as much as he uses the discussion and breakdown of language and words. Long Division is an adventure story about racism and family that contains more than one mystery with plenty of fun stirred in for flavor. This book has attitude and swagger and I'm down for it.

shuffmcpuff's review against another edition

I didn’t quite get this book, but it was an interesting read all the same.

nadinekc's review against another edition

I think this is the first time I've liked a book and quit on it anyway about a third of the way through - twice. It has a nice, light satirical touch - not as frenetic as The Sellout, but just as effective. I liked that the characters are all in their early teens, so even when they're snarky there's still childlike sweetness about them. And if the publishers description of the book as "Twain-esque" means that City Coldson is a kind of black, hip-hop Tom Sawyer, I can see that. I think I quit (twice) because the plot just didn't have enough juice to keep me going. On paper the story sounds entertaining - time travel, a mysterious disappearance, and a strange book that ties it all together - but at the one third mark, I felt like the book had given me all it had to give. I think this book would make a fantastic graphic novel though. Maybe that was my problem - it read like a graphic novel, but without the pictures.