The Younger Wife, by Sally Hepworth

mintrogue's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional fast-paced

ehartsbooks's review

3.5⭐️. I love Sally Hepworth books. She writes family drama really well. This one just wasn’t my favorite of hers. Still liked it and will eagerly await her next.

fluffyturtle's review against another edition

emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

rachelibrarian's review

mysterious fast-paced

angelajasz's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

fieberali's review

4.5 stars. Another solid read from Sally Hepworth. She is great with her twists and turns! Rachel and Tully’s father announces he’s marrying Heather, a woman a couple of years younger than them. At the same time, their mother is experiencing profound dimmentia and is living in a nurse facility. Secrets will be revealed, and Hepworth will leave you guessing until the very end!

flowerchildreads's review

There’s a lot to unpack here friends. A. LOT. I binge read The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth in one sitting into the hour not quite night but not quite morning. Time your reading start carefully, you will not put this down. I’m still trying to wrap my brain around what happened.
In post Covid Australia a seemingly idyllic family is anything but when you get past the money, manners, misdirection, and malfunctioning relationships. Patriarch Stephen is a respected doctor, father of two grown daughters who revere him, doting grandfather, whose wife is suffering from dementia. Stephen announced his engagement to girlfriend, Heather, at a meet and greet lunch with daughters, Rachel and Tully. Torn between loyalty to their mother and wanting to please their father the sisters are further conflicted by unnamed and unresolved childhood traumas. As they bond with Heather a question arises about Stephen, one that not only jeopardizes the upcoming wedding but the entire foundation of their family.
This is my first book by Sally Hepworth so I had no idea what to expect. It is a carefully woven psychological suspense with several threads going in different directions. We don’t know what’s going to connect where, how important something is going to be, if another thread is going to be introduced and woven in to fill in a gap and tying together seemingly unrelated areas until you give it a little tug at the end. Usually an ambiguous ending bothers me, and this did at first, less so now. I’m inclined to go back and revisit parts to see if I can connect more, always an excellent sign.
I recommend for readers and bookclubs who enjoy psychological suspense, also for buddy reads. There’s so much to discuss in this one.

*TW: This is a book best gone in cold but if you have sensitivity to content navigating sexual assault, miscarriage, or physical and psychological abuse then due diligence is suggested.*

Thanks to Netgalley and St Martin’s Press for the gifted copy.

emilylynn1123's review against another edition

emotional mysterious medium-paced

becsbookshelf's review against another edition

The moment Tully met Heather she knew that woman was going to ruin their lives. Tully and sister Rachel aren’t impressed when they are strong armed into meeting their fathers new younger girlfriend. He is still married to their mother who lives in a care facility as her alzheimers has gotten considerably worse in the last few months.

Heather knows she won’t win the girls over easily, but she hopes deep down one day they’ll accept her and her secrets will stay buried. The girls but happen to have secrets of their own. And just like that the couples engagement sets off a chain of events that no one was ready for. New and old wounds come to life and they all wont make it out alive.

I’ve loved Hepworth’s other novels and had high expectations for this one. It was a whity page turner but there was so much going on and I was letdown by the ending. Don’t let my review put you off there are people of other people who loved this one.

mhardy616's review

3.5 I really enjoy Hepworth. This one I blew through and really enjoyed. I felt like some storylines kept repeating themselves over and over which got old. Not my favorite of hers but still a good quick read.