The Younger Wife, by Sally Hepworth

mommastarr's review

The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth-a book that started out so perfect and kept you reading and reading-just to get to the ending and be like bleh.

We meet the Heather (the bride), Stephen (the groom), Tully and Rachel (Stephen’s daughters) Pam (the EX wife—whuttt) and a wedding attendee who is later revealed in a crazy first chapter where someone is seriously injured or maybe even killed because the officiant has blood on her. Ok, you have my attention. We then jump between recent history and present wedding day in a fast paced telling to keep you drawn in-WHO WAS HURT?! WHO DID IT?!

And then comes the ending. While it was ok and brought the story closure it just felt… rushed and forced. I may be in a minority-I don’t know, but I just got that vibe.

All in all an entertaining read and if you are a Sally Hepworth fan, definitely check it out!

*I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion*

mauvan5150's review against another edition

mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

klmatranga's review

I really enjoyed The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth! I think Hepworth does a fantastic job of writing family dramas. I enjoyed the characters and thought they were very likeable. The narrators of the audiobook did a really good job and I think they helped keep me immersed in the story.
*This book has a scheduled release date of April 5th, 2022.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this audiobook in exchange for an honest review.

lisagmayo's review

I have to admit, I knew where this was going pretty early on, so there weren’t any big shocks, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. There was a big emotional payoff regarding the characters that appealed to me.

brittney_reads's review

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

I liked the book, but I would not call it a thriller

lgottsacker's review

slow-paced

emathys93's review

Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
I have been a fan of Sally Hepworth since I discovered her in 2017. I was excited for this opportunity, and read this book as quickly as my life would allow. Everyone in the Alston family has secrets. The patriarch, his many wives, the children… they are all keeping it from each other and smile and try to appear normal on the outside. When Stephen and his younger wife have just been married, a vicious attack occurs as they are signing the register. Who was injured and who did it? The book then rewinds to the year prior with small glimpses in the present as we peel back the onion to uncover what everyone has been hiding.

meganyntan's review

would've gotten 3* if not for the ending and the glossing over of srs topics, 0/10 do not recommend

brittahughes's review against another edition

mysterious fast-paced