She Is a Haunting by Trang Thanh Tran

priscilla's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

Loved the plot and the chapters written from the "house". In terms of pacing, there were some moments where I felt like the book was going a bit too fast, glancing over things that I wouldn't have minded if they'd been delved into more. But some of the descriptions, especially of the food and the house itself, were absolutely gorgeous, terrifying, and fantastic.

beccawithabook's review against another edition

dark emotional tense medium-paced

nnendi's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

ashleyw's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

mdvlspencer's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I cannot believe this is the author's first book. This book was so powerful and compelling and wonderful and haunting (haha). It has so much in it to really go through and think about and it all fits together in this beautiful mixing of metaphoric and symbolic and real. Truly a work of art.

meltingpages's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious fast-paced

I loved the haunted house aspect, and the big discussion about colonization and immigration that this had, but a lot of this ended up confusing me and the main character was just too...angsty teenager for me. But take that with a grain of salt because I'm absolutely not the target audience for YA anymore in my 30s. I couldn't quite figure out the motivation for Jade being at the house, and how her father blames her for him leaving (honestly everyone in this book was pretty shitty most of the time). I did love the descriptions of the bug scenes, the body horror and the sleep paralysis, but in the end I was just so confused by all the chaotic things happening at the end.

I also had a bit of an issue with the audiobook (I read this both physically and with the audiobook) because the narrator would add pauses in the middle of a sentence as if it were the end of a sentence, and it threw me off whenever it happened. But I didn't take that into account for my rating, just wanted to point it out in case anyone wants to try the audiobook!

Overall this was okay, there were a lot of things I liked but a lot of things I didn't like. I'll definitely be curious about anything else the author writes though!

clovetra's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

ok i had to pause to collect my thoughts on this.
i hate to say i did not have a good time.
look it feels illegal to give this a 1-star because;
a) the cover is too beautiful to rate it that low
b) i did enjoy the first 30% of this book!
it feels wrong to rate a book lower when i considered dnf’ing many times yet pushed through because i wanted to know how it ended & if it got any better. the fact i had that much interest is worth 2-stars to me. plus i really wanted to like this. REALLY wanted to like this. alas as u can see by my stars um…. i did not!
it was really hard to formulate my thoughts about this book simply because most of the time i had no fuckjng idea what was going on. like if you asked me for a summary i would probably skip a good 60% of the plot because i actually don’t know what was happening. i still don’t really know what happened by the end. like yeah i got what happened to ba but….. with cam & marion? lily? jade even? um. 😀
like even the chapter titles such as “heart”…. i assume it was the house? i cant even be sure.
i wouldn’t be surprised if it was a meta-commentary like “if you don’t understand this book it’s immersing you into being jade in this house” but…. cmon when i don’t even know what i don’t know i am not a happy camper.
that was honestly my main issue. i think if i knew what was going on i would’ve given this at the bare minimum an extra star. but like im gonna have to read other reviews to know what’s going on.
another gripe, which is a lot more minor mind you, is that this didn’t feel like a horror.  it’s more like a thriller. but like nothing was really horrifying to me. bro i need more than just some bugs. the more horrific elements may have been lost on me because i had no idea what was going on!!!!!
my final gripe is that this was such a slow burn oh my god????? storygraph said this was medium-paced…… WHERE. i’m sorry this is not medium-burn this is a snail’s-pace-burn. not even saying that’s a bad thing! it’s just not my thing and if i knew it was a slow burn i wouldn’t have even read it!
idk man im really sad cuz i wanted to love this! otherwise i wouldn’t have pushed past like 30%!!!!!!!
i am hoping that trang thanh tran irons out these “kinks” in her newest book because it looks good. granted i did say that about this book and look where that got me but. IM HOLDING OUT FOR YOU TRANG THANH TRAN!!!!!!!!!!

alerasaul0's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

for a ya Gothic novel it's good, especially as it's also a debut.

books_through_these_eyes's review