Crossbones by Kimberly Vale

cam356's review

adventurous funny lighthearted medium-paced

lucygwrites's review

I absolutely loved this book! I don’t really read a lot of pirate books but this one was just wow. The feminism in the story was incredible and it was such a quick read!

matheamae's review

Started off kind of slow but it definitely caught me as it picked up the pace! I think part of it is I'm outgrowing the YA genre, but I desperately need Pirate books so I will take what I can get!

cheye13's review

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

I was very upset that this one didn't live up to my expectations. The concept is definitely there, and I think a more involved editing or alpha reading process could've pushed it to its full potential. It reads so slow, and ironically, I think it would've read more easily if it were longer and more in-depth. There's so much potential for fantasty politics and mythology, but we skim past it to be told (rather than shown) how two teens are in love but conflicted about it. I do enjoy the focus on the two women leads and the overall plot beats, but I think it needs a lot more real estate to really embody the story it was going for.

mreadz's review

I did not enjoy this as much as I thought I would :(

I hope that whoever reads this enjoys it more than me!

scepter's review

This book made me think of Pirates of the Caribbean and Black Sails, but in a wonderful YA way.
I enjoyed the overall story and the characters, with Csilla, Kane and Flynn being my favorites. This is a multiple POV book and I think the author handled it well. The reader gets to see the unfolding events through three character's eyes which come together on THE pirate island after the Pirate King's death.
The story has it all: great characters, adventure, pirate shenenigans, rivalry, a sea battle, mysteries, some kind of supernatural elements and romance. And damn, the romance. There are two couples in this book, one where the characters broke up due to *spoiler*, the other being a wonderful slow burn... until the book comes to the end.
And that's why the book don't gets five stars from me. The ending.
Everything in this story is fine, the pace, the adventure, the friendly banter, the fights, the race for the pirate throne, the slow burn. Until the last chapters. Suddenly everything feels rushed to get to the ending. And while it's still great writing it makes it seem like parts are missing from the story. The celebration for the new Pirate Royal feels shallow, the delicious slow burn is suddenly resolved and the book ends without giving the reader that sense of wow that it had promised.
In other words, I wanted more after truly devouring the story for the great part of it. I expected more. The characters deserved more.
As it is, Crossbones is a book to enjoy, the pirates and adventure in it are everything you could wish for. It's just the ending that doesn't do it justice.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for this eARC.

lunaerium's review

adventurous medium-paced

jennagarcia's review

Definitely YA, slow, sort of confusing start, but by the end I was really into it!

ameserole's review

I have received this ARC from Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Crossbones was a wild adventure from start to finish. Then again, what else would you expect when you get a book full of pirates. In it, you will meet Csilla, Kane, and Lorelei. After meeting them, I started making my little predictions of what was going to happen. I'll even admit that I wasn't completely shocked when my predictions were starting to become true. Some things were just way too obvious - I'm looking at you Rove and Rhoda.

Other than that, I did actually like the little treasure hunt and a potential heir mysteriously hiding. I also thought it was kind of unique that the pirates were teaming up to help find the pieces throughout the trial. Then again, the one group was filled with people who were basically friends and grew up together. While the other one was full of evil traitors who were going to either meet their deaths or karma soon enough.

In the end, I liked how this all ended. I'm not sure if this is going to stay a standalone or not but I wouldn't mind seeing another pirate adventure with them.

katiejohn_'s review

I love pirates and this was fun to read. Took me way longer than it should have because I’ve only been able to read in 30 min parts because I’ve been so busy. Don’t know that I’d read following books, but it was a fun swashbuckling adventure that was fairly predictable