Stone Blind by Natalie Haynes

agayprince's review

adventurous dark emotional reflective tense fast-paced

aruraa's review

adventurous dark medium-paced

dioneira's review against another edition

adventurous sad slow-paced

natsavage19's review

adventurous medium-paced

isielou's review against another edition

4.5*

lkjones19's review against another edition

adventurous funny medium-paced

taylormbrannan91's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

If it were possible to give more than 5 stars, I would. Natalie Haynes has woven an incredible tale that has me laughing and crying in equal measure. Medusa feels so personal to me (which you may have already guessed, given that she was the subject of my first tattoo), and this book brought her even closer to my heart. It meant so much to me to hear her side of things. Perseus continues to be the very worst kind of hero, a cowardly one who relies on the help others while still taking the credit and thinks of anyone different as monstrous. Sounds awfully familiar, doesn’t it? I highly recommend listening to the audiobook because Natalie Haynes is not only a wonderful writer, but she’s the best possible narrator. So many stars. So much love.

joohd_73's review

This was worth a read! I liked how Haynes recontextualized the myth of Medusa; it really makes you consider that maybe all of the heroes are only heroic because men decided they were.

courtneyvanlesbian's review against another edition

dark emotional sad slow-paced

maddybx's review against another edition

I wasn't sure what to expect going in but was pleasantly surprised by this female-focussed Greek mythology retelling. At first the story seems to jump around a lot, which I found compelling as each short chapter left me wanting more from that storyline, but as I got towards the end I looked back and saw that all those disjointed events had consequences which led to other events and eventually it all converged to the crescendo of Medusa's story.

My criticisms would be that Medusa herself doesn't feature much in her own story, as there's
a lot of other people's backstories, so I didn't feel that I know her very well. Also, while it is a feminist retelling in that it tells Medusa's side of the story, there are constant themes of male characters overpowering female characters, female characters suffering at the hands of male characters, female characters being controlled or silenced by male characters etc.

I went into this knowing nothing about Greek mythology (and didn't need to - great for beginners)
but if you are familiar with the backstories, would these chapters be a bit tedious? I think even if you know some of the characters already (such as Metis, Athene, Danae, Perseus), the story would still be interesting as it shows the parts these gods and mortals play in Medusa's life from a different perspective.