Reviews for When Dimple Met Rishi, by Sandhya Menon

greenlivingaudioworm's review against another edition

This book had everything I love about a good contemporary YA novel. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and the characters of Dimple and Rishi. This was such a fun book for those who enjoy YA lit.

sobremesa18's review against another edition

I saw ALOT of negative reviews for this book but decided to read it anyway. I’m so glad I did. I feel like people were looking for every reason to hate this. Is it problematic in some ways? Yes. But these characters are flawed in the most human ways and it makes them so relatable. Dimple has anger issues out the wazoo and I really don’t like how much she feels the need or want to hit Rishi, but overall she struggles with being a career driven woman surrounded in a culture that is traditionally domestic. Rishi is traditional and struggling with wanting to step outside of that role to be the comic artist! I think this book is such a cute rom-com type college romance. I really like it.

itsabooksworld's review

I liked it, but that's about it. I know and understand why most people love it, but I found it rather predictable and it didn't move me. For some reason I didn't smile a lot or felt the story. Maybe that's just me, but even thought it's a different ya than most ya and diverse (which is like I said a good thing and understand why many people can connect to the main characters) I just liked it, but was a little bit disappointed (think that's also because of all the hype) because I was expecting more from it.

eva_dx's review against another edition

4.5/5 stars

This was an amazing surprise! I loved it! After the average response this book had, I didn't think that would be the case. However, this book made me really happy to read. I'm talking Simon vs. levels of happy. I totally shipped the romance. It was so swoon-worthy!! I really liked the characters. Yes, both of them. I didn't have any problem with Dimple. The plot was entertaining, although a bit cliché at times. I would highly recommend this!

mybookishdelights's review against another edition

I really loved this one. The characters were so well fleshed out and even though the romance was kind of insta-love, I felt like it worked. Dimple was a strong female character and I really liked her. She knew what she wanted and worked her ass off to get it. Rishi... Rishi was so freaking adorable. I loved him. Everything about him. He was funny, strong, caring, thoughtful. Just perfect. The story was really cute, but the two main characters are what made this book so good. Definitely recommend.

Challenges:
2017 Goodreads Challenge
2017 Llama Library Reading Challenge - 2017 NY Times Bestseller

alesmusings's review against another edition

this story was just soooo cute ugh. but angsty too. I loved the topic it dealt with. following what you want vs what you're supposed to do in life. the dream against the practical thing. rishi is an actual dream and I hate everything. *sings* nothing comparesss to youuuuuu

iggyebab's review against another edition

Cute contemporary. Easy read with a culture I am not as familiar with.

rjsthumbelina's review against another edition

I listened to this on #scribd and enjoyed it. I didn't like the teenage love aspect where they just knew they'd be together forever, but that's YA I suppose. I enjoyed the cultural aspects and how the main characters were kind of caught between their family culture and that of mainstream US teens. I loved that it was the girl who entered the summer program bc she loves coding, and the boy who just follows her there. Worth reading

readcover2cover's review against another edition

I think I was smiling the whole time I read this book. I loved Dimple's character. She was entirely herself 100% of the time and she doesn't pull any punches, so I really admired her for that. I also loved Rishi for his sweetness and his unapologetic love for his parents and tradition in general. It was a happy book that I read very quickly. I really enjoyed it!