Manhunt by Gretchen Felker-Martin

zachnachazel's review

There was so much I didn’t enjoy about this book that I don’t know where to start or end. So I just won’t.

hallesmithy's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

vangoghssunflowers's review against another edition

dark tense

Mostly disappointing. I thought the premise was exciting, but thought it lacked luster in the end.

I think this book would’ve succeeded if it stuck to one character’s point of view over multiple novels. Too much jumping around from person to person, with some sections going in for paragraphs before you find out who’s eyes you’re seeing through. The writing style was not tight enough to immediately differentiate characters from one another, so I was left confused and often had to reread portions once I realized I was picturing the wrong person. We’re introduced to far too many characters and too many points of view. “Show don’t tell” taken too far.

I also thought there were far too many sex scenes that didn’t further the plot. There were also many instances of unnerving descriptions of sexual content.

Personally, I thought there was also very little buy in for our characters. I disliked most of the people we met and didn’t believe in their relationships. While I get it’s the end of the world, why would these seemingly strong bonds form between characters out of nowhere?
I’m honestly supposed to believe Robbie and Fran are connected after one day of knowing each other and one night of sex? Which also, VERY WEIRDLY happened after Beth was brutally raped?

I thought the strongest aspect of this book was the world building, but certain structures felt unfinished and underwhelming. I very much disliked Teach as a villain. She had no substance besides being a TERF. Literally every piece of dialogue we get from her is just a super villain monologue. We get it, she’s evil. But does she really only ever talk about her womb? Really?

Overall, 3 star read. Premise and world building did a lot of heavy lifting for the confusing structure and lack luster plot.

anamatria's review against another edition

It didn’t grab me. I didn’t connect with the characters and got bored.

calb's review against another edition

fast-paced

abbacirc's review

It just felt gross and like I was reading some creepy sex-crazed persons creative writing assignment.

smellimelk's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional tense fast-paced

pfruit's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark funny inspiring tense medium-paced

ohitsbetterthisway's review against another edition

Going to go back to it and restart at a different point since I barely got into it!

cpark's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced