Fry's English Delight: Series 1, by Stephen Fry

laura975's review against another edition

This series returns to some more interesting aspects of the English language. Colour and intonation are particularly interesting.

paging_snidget's review against another edition

Funny and interesting. An easy listen.

abhicantdraw's review against another edition

I think I enjoyed the "Puns" section the most, having a personal stake in the matter by way of a long-term interest. That said, I liked the other 3 sections as well. Stephen Fry's narration made it a delightful experience. Anyone with a love for the English language should definitely listen to this.

sirminstrel's review

funny informative lighthearted fast-paced

traditionson's review against another edition

A highly informative series on a number of things within the English language, using a number of highly credible sources. There is very little of Stephen Fry compared to the sources speaking. It is still interesting to hear about the sources of words and phrases. You need to be in a mood to listen however otherwise the subtle humor can be lost on you. Very much for those interested in words than anyone else.

lefernandez's review against another edition

Not long but a fun, straightforward listen for those who love interesting facts and Stephen Fry.

onecrab's review against another edition

These collections are great fun and good anytime. Narrated by Stephen Fry and a diverse group of other people.

smithla8's review against another edition

Brilliant & funny.

kirstieellen's review against another edition

Informative and Delightful
This was a really cute 4 part series about the English language and honestly just fun. It was free to download from Audible and god forbid I ever miss an opportunity to listen to something narrated by Stephen Fry. All up this is an hour long so if you have some time to kill I would definitely recommend having a listen!

The best thing about this is the ridiculous number of puns and other word plays that Fry manages to squeeze into every single sentence. You just know he's having an outrageous amount of fun being so witty and I loved it.

Happy reading!

chalexdv's review

informative reflective medium-paced

This was not what I expected. It was fine, and I do wonder if I would've liked it more if I had had more correct expectations.

It reminded me quite a bit of the The Allusionist podcast, only I prefer the podcast to this book.