Lapvona, by Ottessa Moshfegh

rogueoneapologist's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional reflective medium-paced

shelf_inspiration's review against another edition

4 Stars

See more on my Bookstagram: Shelf.Inspiration Instagram

will_ingram's review against another edition

challenging dark fast-paced

abigailgross's review against another edition

challenging dark tense slow-paced

bookswithchaipai's review against another edition

Moshfegh is the bravest author I know!

Her nihilistic views of human nature shines through her writing in a strange and jarring manner.  One of the most grotesque novels I have encountered, filled with harsh realities which are usually concealed behind closed doors because of its disgraceful nature and could be shameful for an author to pen down, have been grappled with dauntlessly.

Set in the medieval times, Lapvona showcases primitive village life, with a cluster  of hard working villagers and God-fearing farmers working to make ends meet, and a Governor living in luxury by taking undue advantage of the villagers through underhand means. This is the perfect study of disparity between the higher and the lower classes and how they suffer.

Through her larger-than-life unlikeable character tableau, with deluded human behaviour, tackling challenging subjects like lack of familial love, and matters of faith and God, this book has a fairytale quality which is hard to brush aside. Having said that, some of the topics did grate me the wrong way, especially the cannibalism bit.

A rollercoaster would have been a pleasanter ride than this, but like it I did despite all the content warnings, because of its blatant honesty and far-fetched nature.

hellobungalow_rachel's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

quietlex's review against another edition

dark funny sad tense medium-paced

I loved this book. It’s disturbing, uncomfortable, and makes you feel icky inside, but it is written beautifully. So many horrible things happen- sexual assault, imprisonment, suicide, cannibalism, murder, drought, starvation, greed, religious trauma… and lots more I won’t mention, this book has it all. You hate every character, yet can’t wait to turn the page to see what they do next. Nothing is predictable, besides maybe the legitimacy of heirs. Trigger warnings galore, but a captivating story.

jean_flanagan's review against another edition

challenging dark medium-paced

hnaibrahim's review against another edition

challenging dark reflective medium-paced

neviris's review against another edition

Erratic evil spreads in the mind of Lapvona's babes who can only be saved by God himself. Twisted, excessive religious concepts in medieval times never spoke clearer to my unhinged soul.

While Lapvona might seem like an usual village to some, opinions might change rather quickly. Each of the god fearing residents live up to their own expectations in order to please God and get rid of their sins. Some of them might even consider biblical rituals such as whipping themselves or hurting themselves on purpose so they can feel relieved. Ottessa Moshfegh's novel "Lapvona" travels back in time when actions spoke in the name of God and raping a woman was not considered a crime but rather the true colours of love. Still in shock, this novel consumed my soul and made me want to be the "good girl" of the village shepherd.

Moshfegh's writing style is complex and unique. While I have to admit, that it did take longer to read than expected, it was worth every page. The way she has with words makes my mind go insane and can give insight in the world of sociopathy and what religion can lead to. In this novel, numerous different points of view have been exemplified with a deep rooted understanding and dignity which impressed me to the core in a way that made me wonder where my feeble mind gets stuck sometimes. I cannot help but look for aspects I did not like about this book, however, there are none to be found.

To sum it up, I have rarely read one book that consumed me as much and made me question my own views and morals of society. Without hesitation, I would rate the book 5 stars since I feel like this novel really stands out. Not one book I have ever read gets even close to where this book ranks on a scale in this category. Impressive, unhinged and unsettling.

Disclaimer: While I can not get enough of unhinged material, I would rather not suggest it to people who tend to get sick easily since it might affect one negatively.