Uzumaki: Spiral into Horror, Vol. 1, by 伊藤潤二, Junji Ito

machinegirl's review against another edition

junji got me Fucked Up what the hell

rougoku's review against another edition

it has been sooo long since i’ve revisited the uzumaki series. i was able to completely devour it in one sitting and i enjoyed it more than the other times i’ve read it. the slight hint at surrealism, time loss, and unreality is hypnotizing. the body horror picks at your brain and leaves you feeling chilled to the bone. this is truly junji ito at his best!

sarcas_98's review against another edition

I read all the volumes and I'm terrified. Every Chapter made my skin crawl. Definitely reading more of Junji Ito's work.

nuca_05's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

thequeenreads's review against another edition

IT'S SO CUTE AND CREEPY. OMG. Review to follow

loveroflovingbooks's review against another edition

#3 BEST BOOK OF 2020

Omg. The illustration is incredible. The gory is disgusting and it literally makes you want to puke your guts out.

juliallmar's review against another edition

I've been trying to read just one Junji Ito per month because I want them to last for a long time. And they usually leave me freaked out for a couple of weeks... But this was very freaky and very gory and I might have to start the next volume tomorrow. I am, indeed, addicted to those fucking spirals

tiash's review against another edition

Uzumaki is probably the worst illogical book I've ever read. Controversial statement, but I stand by it.

description

See I'm not saying it should be realistic af. Ik It's a horror manga and I've the least sense that horror can defy logic. But presenting headless stories in name of Horror It can't be justified. This is a collection of stories that denies normal human instincts or behaviour. Say someone dies infront of your eye what will be your reaction. You'll freak out, have nightmares. Right? Here people are having full course meal with family after witnessing two people being engulfed by some supernatural force. And It's not the only example. Literally every fucking story in this book is this way. Each story has numerous plot holes. And i simply could not endure this bullshit.

Uzumaki could be a three line story,

*OMG this town is infested by spiral.
*Lets Move out, oaky.
* HEA

But of this couldn't be the case, cause our protagonists are stupid and we readers are CHUTIYA!

Let me present to you the most Illogical Uzumaki Logic [Read at your own Risk]

✨ Law Enforcement is a myth in this town. Literally people are getting crushed, twisted and vanished but not a sign of cops or anything. Not even a single missing report! Huh?

✨ Main leads are indestructible like typical third class Bollywood film hero. Literally they can not be killed.

✨ Parents Don't care for their children. Let them die, let them vanish into the air. We are of no concern.

✨ Main lead can cut the twisted spirally hair of the female lead, ahem which btw professional hairdressers failed to cut. How? Nah, we will not question that.

✨ Teens witnessed some horrible death and that actually Didn't bother them at all No mental breakdown, no remorse, no emotions. Nothing. And you're supposed to feel it, root for them?
Sorry hon, WE SIMPLY CAN'T.

✨ Knowing that the city is infested by spiral, They will not move out, cause that would be too easy, too realistic. Bullshit.

✨ No background, no explanation or story development is needed. motherfuckers, Enjoy the disjoint discrete stories none of which makes any sense.

I wish I could give it 0 star. But It's a manga, so the art also counts. Therefore I can't be to harsh. The art is disgustingly creepy and terrifyingly beautiful. Story wise Uzumaki should Be rated in negative but solely for the art style I'm giving it 2 star

description

saimabee's review against another edition

move over trypophobia, I have a new phobia now and its spirals