The Fall by Gilly Macmillan

coldcoffeelibrary's review

robertjackson's review

Absolutely amazed by this book. For some reason my expectations were low. Boy was I wrong.

I loved everything about the book. I had thought the plot would be superficial and pedestrian. It was anything but!!

The plot was actually superb. The characters were all intriguing in many different ways. Full credit to the author for the work put into this book!

Now the ending - how good was that! I had such a big smile on my face. I still do when I think about what happened.

wilsoninho1's review

funny lighthearted mysterious tense fast-paced

emma_kjw's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

stephanieg1992's review against another edition

seraemily's review

bri0_0's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

celinepien's review

mysterious tense fast-paced

nocturnalpaperbacks's review

I was truly intrigued by the premise of this book. It revolves around a couple who, having won the lottery, are living their dream life in a beautiful home. However, everything takes a dark turn when the husband is discovered dead, facedown in the outdoor pool. As the story unfolds, we discover that their neighbors, Olly and Sasha, have been manipulating and befriending the owner of the Manor House, taking advantage of her wealth.

The book maintains a high level of suspense throughout, with multiple characters' stories gradually unveiled in each chapter. However, at times, the abundance of information presented became slightly overwhelming, and some details felt unnecessary, needlessly prolonging the story. Towards the end, the pacing felt rushed, and certain storylines introduced elements of unbelievability. Despite these shortcomings, it was still an enjoyable read.

Overall, I appreciated the book, but I couldn't help but notice some pacing issues that could have enhanced its gripping nature. I extend my gratitude to NetGalley for providing the ARC.

helenpickett's review

I keep retiring to Gilly MacMillan again and again for her thrillers.
Nicole and Tom are the average run of the mill couple whose lives are turned around by a £10 million pound win and moving into a state of art glass barn built to their specifications. It’s bound to raise any eyebrow or two of potentially envious neighbours.
Tragedy strikes when Tom ends up dead in the pool. Is it a tragic accident or murder. With the mystery unraveling, there will turn out to be one or two misers along the way and perfect revenge too.
With thanks to NetGalley, Random House and Cornerstone UK for this preview read of this mystery thriller.