Good Girl, Bad Blood, by Holly Jackson

rie_reads08's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

this book was another amazing thriller mystery by holly Jackson. i loved the pacing of the master, and it kept me on edge. the audience can feel the stress of pip trying to find jamie. the ending was well written, not rushed.
Spoiler BUT BRUH STANLEY DIDNT HAVE TO DIE WHY DON'T PEOPLE UNDERSTAND ITS NOT HIS FAULT
anyways i liked how they incorporated the fact that pip was being kind of selfish doing that case in the last book. she could have been killed, and it also emotionally affected the people she interviewed.

annabellemil33's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

rleen3's review

adventurous challenging dark tense fast-paced

this was really great! not quite as enthralling as the first book, but still awesome besides some strange plot points and a rapid-paced ending. i loved to see pip’s character development. looking forward to the last installment!

lucy_493's review

Not as good as book one or three. Very quick paced ending which I loved.

constantinopal's review against another edition

actually a 4.5 but goodreads hates us

margariinimari's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

bookhussy's review against another edition

challenging dark mysterious tense medium-paced

_apolloni_'s review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense fast-paced

elosuss's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

catiandrah's review

⭐️⭐️⭐️✨

Plot: Following on from A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, Good Girl, Bad Blood begins with Pip having promised her parents that she will stay away from murder mysteries, and concentrate on her schoolwork. However, this promise becomes difficult to keep when her friend Connor's brother Jamie goes missing. With the police refusing to take Jamie's disappearance seriously, Pip finds herself in a situation where she is the last resort of a panicked and terrified family. But will she be able to track Jamie down before it's too late?

Genre: Young adult, thrillers and suspense, law & crime, social commentary.

----------

Thoughts While Reading:
Thoughts at 54%:
1. At first I thought that I wasn't going to like this as much as the first one, because it did take me a little while longer to get into it. However, at just over halfway through, I'm hooked and invested in the mystery. Still, I don't know if I feel the stakes emotionally like I did with the first book. A Good Girl's Guide to Murder had the relationship building between Pip and Ravi, and all the background of the older crime. On top of this, because the entire community knew about Sal and Andie, everyone was involved and had an opinion, which added another layer. I guess Good Girl, Bad Blood just doesn't have that emotional depth for me yet.
2. It was so irritating how the author continually spelt "Layla" in different ways when the characters were talking and saying the name. I know that they didn't know the spelling yet, but having the spelling be different when the characters were talking was so off-putting to me, and completely yanked me out of the story. I would have preferred if Holly Jackson had just picked one spelling and stuck with that.

❗️SPOILERS AHEAD❗️

3. Ok so, there may not be any actual spoilers, but I'm going to speculate about what's going on in the story, so beware!
4. Jamie wasn't wearing a hoodie and then he was... He climbed through Flora and Charlie's window and was out in about 45 seconds, apparently only taking Flora's watch, which he them kept. What if he was seeing Flora (possibly having an affair?!) and he ducked in to her house because the accidentally left his hoodie there previously during one of their encounters. He took her watch because their relationship has been ended for some reason, and he wanted a keepsake to remember her by. This is probably way off base lol, but it makes a lot of sense!

Thoughts at 100%:
1. Ok so I was wrong about my theory ⬆️ . Though, I was right that there was something going on with Charlie and Flora, so I'm going to count it as a win!