Fable by Adrienne Young

fountainstories's review against another edition

Unfortunately this just made me want to read daughter of the pirate King again and I wasn't as invested as I wanted to be in the romance. BUT crazy cliffhanger and overall a quick and easy read.

stahri's review against another edition

4.5/5 stars! THIS!! This was everything I needed and more. It tickled the part of my brain that loves anything to do with pirates. I LOVED the absolute vibes this book was giving off -- think traveling across the wide-blue sea, buried treasure, thieving, all that good stuff pirates love to do!!

Fable was SO well-written. She's vulnerable and grieving, but she's also very tough. She knows how to hold her own, she's clever, and knows her way around the world and life. She was a great character to read about, and I loved following her journey.

I also really enjoyed that the book explored the complicated dynamic between her and her father. It's very obvious that her father loves her, but shows it very, very poorly, and executes it in ways he thinks is best for her instead of what really is best for her. I can't totally blame the guy, but I can fault him. But that relationship was something I really appreciated because it wasn't just a generic "daddy issue" plot line, but it was complex and understandable. A lot of times, I feel like books make the "evil" character to be evil just because, which I'm not a big fan of. But this book did such a great job shaping each character and let's us see that there is no "good" or "bad" guy in this story, but everyone's just trying their very best to survive.

mrshaleypole's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

llehouser's review against another edition

This book is so fantastic, I don't even have the right words. I am a sucker for a novel that can give you all the necessary makings of a fire story without telling you "this is a fire story," and Fable did just that. Through her writing, Young reels you in and doesn't let you go. Hooked for sure.

Fable is such an intriguing character, and her drive and desires unfold through a series of events rather than through text. It doesn't hurt that she is the definition of a strong, independent woman who goes after what she wants and won't give up until she has it. Her eventual crewmates are also worth noting, but I appreciated that the strongest, well-defined characters in this novel happen to be female--Fable and Willa. Of course, West is a central character but he unfolds a little slower, which makes it that much sweeter.

Fable also nails the slow burn love story plot and has you ready for more before it ends in a well-executed cliffhanger. Safe to say I will be checking out Adrienne Young's other novels while I wait for the next installment.

mchllchng's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

solaceinliterature's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

blendedberries's review against another edition

The ending tho.

Fable cursed too much for my liking, that's why I gave this three stars. However, I love the story and the vibes.

cmah's review against another edition

3.5 rounded up. Good story, good characters, a little lacking in conflict. I hate it when books end on a cliffhanger…I should want to read the second book because I want to not because I feel like I have to. Really frustrating that you go the whole book without much suspense and no real conflict only mild setbacks, just to drop off as things get interesting.

californian_vagabond's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful fast-paced