The Iron Trial, by Holly Black, Cassandra Clare

jlluff's review against another edition

*4.5*

klkunselman's review

Good book! Reminds me of a Harry Potter type story. I wish the next one was coming out sooner!

julievdh's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious tense medium-paced

kslhersam's review

I heard this was a good fantasy series from my friend who is a librarian - so I got the whole series and my 14 year old and husband both read it and really enjoyed it. I decided to give it a try too and it was all right. It didn't seem that special to me, but I might continue the series since my family liked it so much. There are a few similarities to Harry Potter, but I don't think it's a copycat or anything. I did like the characters and some exciting was revealed near the end of this book, so I will plan to read book 2 soon.

nonachan's review

I really love Callum’s character, the plot twist is shocking.
I want to see more of Celia and Callum’s romance if ever

bisthesu's review against another edition

Fantastic read

afro75's review

Callum Hunt has been an outcast all of his life due to an injury he sustained at birth. This injury makes walking painful and bars Callum from many of the fun activities other children his age enjoy. Consequently, no one is more shocked than Callum when he gets selected to join the students at the magisterium. The magisterium helps students harness and hone their magic. Successful students will be an important component in the battle against the enemy of death, a rogue student bent on placing chaos ridden elements in humans. Callum has been warned against the power of magic his whole life but, life at the magisterium brings challenges and friendships that were impossible in his home town. Will he heed the warning of his father, or allow the subtle pull of magic to influence him.

tmickey's review

This had the most insane plot twist ever! I highly recommend it for anyone who's in the mood for a good fantasy with unforeseeable surprises! It was amazing!

aurora_182's review

adventurous dark emotional fast-paced

viennajury's review against another edition

I can't believe I have to wait until September for the next one! So many unanswered questions!