A Dead Djinn in Cairo by P. Djèlí Clark

mimig312's review against another edition

A murder mystery novella in a fantastical 20th century Cairo where mechanical angels roam amongst humans. Quick and engrossing read for newbies to P.Djeli Clark.

j_e_n_n's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

girlofsteel377's review against another edition

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense fast-paced

apar's review against another edition

Great writing, great story. But the book was way, way too short to do the story justice. The plot was meaty enough for a full length book. Definitely going to work my way through the whole series.

hoarderreader's review against another edition

mysterious fast-paced

sandeeisreading's review against another edition

4.5 stars

Why isn't this author more popular?
I am so confused.
His prose was beautiful.< I am in love with how he writes. Sure, it challenged my vocabulary a little bit because I am not a native English speaker, but the way he uses words was just plain beautiful and lyrical.
I absolutely loved it.
This book was only 48 pages. 48!!!
Yet it was able to completely emerse me with this steampunk alternate version of Cairo back in 1912.
Supernatural beings walk among mankind, some lived peacefully with men while some wreck havoc.
The pace was fast given it only had 48 pages to tell a story. Some books with 300 pages and more have problems with telling a cohesive story, but A Dead Djinn in Cairo was able to do that wonderfully with such a short page count.
Every page was oozing with awesomness.
Not sure if that's actually a word, but yeah, this was awesome!
The reason why I couldn't give this a full 5 stars was because I feel that the author missed to tell us about a few unfamiliar terms that was used in the story. As the story was set in Egypt, some foreign terms were used that were never really elaborated on so I had to use a dictionary. Lol.
Thank God for Kindles and their built in dictionaries.

What else can I say, I loved this and I'm going to read more from this author, 100%.

nikshelby's review against another edition

P. DjelI Clark’s short stories set in alternate-history Cairo are fun supernatural romps. “The Haunting of Tram Car 015” and “Dead Djinn in Cairo” are tasty little views of a much wider world that I hope Clark adds more to. His characters are delightful and the settings are just the right sort of entertaining silliness. Enjoy!

scuba89's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

lord_crybaby's review against another edition

fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

This is just a little sprinkling of this world, and I devoured it! I need more!

This was over and done before I knew it, which was odd considering it's brought up multiple times in A Master of Djinn. That's on me and my expectations, but it still left me wanting just a bit more than what I was given.

esdeecarlson's review against another edition

3.5 stars.

I LOVED this novella for so many reasons.

The characters are excellent. I was immediately engaged and invested in Fatma, but also with the side characters she interacts with, like Aasim and Siti. They all had personalities that managed to shine through despite the short length of the story.

I also loved the worldbuilding. I have a weakness for stories set in turn-of-the-century Egypt. Making it an alternate history of that Egypt, in which the entry of supernatural creatures has allowed for rapid technological advancement and progressive social structures? YES PLEASE. I loved the quirks of dress amongst all the characters, and the cosmopolitan blend of Cairo. I also loved the unapologetic queerness within the story.

Why only 3.5 stars, then? Well, it's too short. The plot, which had great potential given all the worldbuilding and character creation, felt squashed in. The clues were too easy and convenient, again I think forced to be due to the short length, but it made the story beats feel more like an episode in a T.V. series than a novella. Which, by the way--I think this would make a FANTASTIC T.V. series and I would watch the hell out of it.

I suppose, given my disappointment with the rushed story and the short length, I'm now even more excited to read Clark's full-length novel set in this world, which comes out in May. I really can't wait!