Before Watchmen: Minutemen/Silk Spectre, by Amanda Conner, Darwyn Cooke

mborszich's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

mrdaine's review against another edition

La serie de Minutemen está MUY bien, la de Silk Spectre ya menos.

olivia_piepmeier's review

This was the first book of the Before Watchmen that I picked up. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the Minutemen actually had a singular storyline. I think I was expecting it to be each of the members individual stories. It did try to do that to a slight degree, but it was told from the perspective of Hollis Mason trying to write Under the Hood and make sure everyone who was mentioned in the book was okay with what he wrote. You get to see the full story of what really happened..which was rather dark and I can completely understand why the members did not want it published. It was comparable to Watchmen in the sense that it ended with you feeling kind of weird and not overly happy like many books try to end.

I really enjoyed Silk Spectre. The storyline did not feel as hugely important as Minutemen, but I liked how it showed a side of Laurie that we haven't really seen. I personally identified with the angsty side of her story but I also really enjoyed the art. I loved Silk Spectre's acid trip! The colors, text, everything was really fun.

discocrow's review

Your mileage will vary with these books.

First, I think it's necessary to acknowledge that these book aren't really necessary. Watchmen is a very complete story on its own, and the amount of worldbuilding that's already in it is more than enough for the purpose of the story it tells. I can understand why Moore was upset about these books being released, and why Lindelof himself isn't considering them canon for the new HBO show. Or for Doomsday Clock from what I understand. Nonetheless, I was curious and thought I'd give them a read.

"Minutemen" is pretty great. To learn more of the backstory behind Silhouette and Mothman in particular was greatly appreciated. I though the writer captured Hollis's voice well throughout, and in particular enjoyed the portrayal of the Comedian. The art, while not entirely to my liking, was respectable and in no point distracting from the story. I thought that this installment did a good job of broadening the world, giving more merit to the Minutemen, and exploring some themes only touched upon in Watchmen itself.

In particular, I appreciated how it addressed the difficulty of masked vigilantes ever actually achieving anything they could be praised for. Between the big events being covered up or impossible to report upon due to their disturbing nature... yeah, people only want to hear the good, easy things, like Dollar Bill and Silk Spectre engineering things for the crowds. It was an interesting theme to explore, and well done.

"Silk Spectre" on the other hand, was not so enjoyable to me. I though the characterization was fairly solid and interesting, if a bit overblown when it came to Sally, but the plot left me fairly dry. There were a ton of interesting ways they could have tied it into some real events that happened during that time period but... well, they didn't. Instead it turned into a strange anti-drug PSA and chance for the Comedian to be downright terrifying. Well. Whatever works.

vylotte's review

More Watchmen prequels, this one dealing with the Minutemen and Silk Spectre. The Minutemen section was fantastic, set up as Hollis Mason reveals his book to the remaining members, and reminiscing over the events within. Very well done and effective in showing us much that was only vaguely hinted at in the original source material, entertaining and informative. Also gave a lot more insight into the evolution of the Comedian and the original Silk Spectre than in their own stand-alone stories.

The Silk Spectre section, while showing bits from both mother and daughter, mainly focuses on Laurie and her journey through adolescence, rejection of all her mother is, and finally acceptance and owning the persona. Also well done.

bethifer's review

Seriously excellent. Worthy of the WATCHMEN name.

ansl's review

Aangezien ze in België apart zijn uitgebracht heb ik nu enkel 'The Silk Spectre' gelezen, dus daar gaat deze beoordeling dan ook over :).

etienne02's review

Old school comic in it's illustrations styles and story. Not a bad comic book but I just didn't get the Watchmen vibe (the original's one) I was searching for. I bit disappointed...

sageorion's review against another edition

Minutemen is without question the best of the Before Watchmen series. Great story, great tone and great art -- even the small things that are different from Watchmen still work in this as a stand-alone story. If you are only going to read one arc of Before Watchmen, Minutemen is the one to go with.

Silk Spectre is pretty good as well; for my least favorite character in the original book, I actually thought she was pretty cool in her story. The hippie setting and coloring for the series is pretty and makes the comics stand out among the other Before Watchmen titles.

ipacho's review against another edition

The best stories, both in narrative and drawing, from the Before Watchmen. I loved specially Minutemen: awesome tale, incredible drawings; the perfect "prequel." Silk Spectre was more straightforward, but I was expecting a lot less.