Knife Edge, by Malorie Blackman

chroniqled's review against another edition

This was bleak, but it’s reality — and the way it was written, with all the thoughts, feelings, and emotions erupting out of each character: superb.

minmokh's review against another edition

Even though I felt as though Callum shouldn't have died in Noughts & Crosses (as, I'm sure, everyone agrees with), I liked the introduction to Jude's voice, which gave us an insight into what goes on in his mind and the motives behind his actions.

And then obviously you have Sephy who is struggling to care for her own daughter. I won't spoil the events that occur in the book, but, just as you begin to see a glimpse of hope and happiness for Sephy, it all just comes crashing back down. Prepare yourselves.

I also thought that this book was slightly slower than Noughts & Crosses and obviously there isn't the relationship between Callum and Sephy to enjoy (though, I will say, it's a recurring, for lack of a better word, thing in the book). Very excited to move on to the next book!

saestrah's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad fast-paced

jessrowlands's review

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

chocolateandbooks's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

snivystorm's review against another edition

A sequel I dare say is superior to Blackman's prior work 'Noughts and Crosses'. Like how 'Spider-Man 2' and 'The Dark Knight' took the established world from their predecessors and vastly improved on already their brilliant origins movies, 'Knife Edge' does that and then some for 'Noughts and Crosses'.

For all who have read it, I think this quote sums up exactly, why I consider it so.

'I'd walked but a few steps when I realised my face was wet. I looked up. When had it started raining? (...) But there wasn't a single cloud in the sky.'

There's two characters in this novel that I fell in love with because they both suffer (one more than another) and both are dealing with the exact same loss in life yet in two entirely different ways; one through denial and violence, the other through longing yet hoping.

I implore you, if you've read the first novel: keep reading. This is one of the best works of fictions I've ever read and (unlike the first and subsequent ones) the romance here blends so perfectly with the bleak setting that it pulls at you from page to page until you're left devastated by the end, in a good way.

So, put the knife down and pick this book up for an edge-of-your-seat story.

jamielea89's review against another edition

Oh my days! I've just finished this and this is my facial expression :O ... Again I've been left like that!
This book was filled with sadness, heartbreaking despair from the first to the last page. But it was a really good follow on from Noughts and Crosses. It follows Sephy and Jude with chapters from Minerva, Jasmine and Meggie too giving is more insight into other characters!
I really liked this book, it wasn't as good as the first but it was almost as good! I missed Callum in this one and at times I found the hate and sadness difficult to read but it's honest and it's gritty which makes it all the more real!
I need the next books ASAP!
It's Sunday tomorrow so I can't get it delivered next day on amazon so will have to pop into town for it! I just can't wait not after an ending like that one.........

chalameche's review against another edition

L'histoire est ouf, les persos sont ouf, les hommes sont dégueulasses (no kidding) mais cette fin??? Pourquoi on nous fait ça? C'est super lisez le. L'écriture est pas incroyable mais l'histoire est suffisamment ouf pour qu'on s'en fiche royal.

fairy_gardenn's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad tense fast-paced
I still don't know what grade I gave to this book, it was much darker and I find it better written. The story was engaging and at the end of each page I quickly wanted to read the next one. I found the psychology of the characters and in particular of Jude fascinating and well described nevertheless once again I find that the book is complex enough to be a YA therefore to be read towards the age of 10/11

cristinarosales's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective sad medium-paced