gensveturia's review against another edition

I can easily rate it 5 out of 5 stars. If there were more stars, I could give it.

Reading this book was really caught me off guard. It was one hell of a ride! Can still feeling my heart shattered after finished the book. The Weight of Our Sky has become one of my favorite books, just like that.

I want to write more review about the book because this is my first book from Hanna Alkaf and it turned out extremely well.

Here is my favorite quote:

“Di mana bumi dipijak, di situ langit dijunjung. Have you heard this before? It means where we plant our feet is where we must hold up the sky. We live and die by the rules of the land we live in. But this country belongs to all of us! We make our own sky, and we can hold it up—together.”

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ /5 stars!

. . . . .

Before you read this book, please read these warnings!!!!!!!!

**Content warnings: racism, graphic violence, on-page death, OCD, and anxiety triggers**

emberysing's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad tense medium-paced

tahsintries's review against another edition

tessa_hcgray's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective sad tense medium-paced

An emotional, heartbreaking yet hopeful story, set during one of the most tragic incident Malaysia has seen. We follow a sixteen year old girl struggling with OCD, trying to find her mother in the midst of these riots. The mental health aspect was really focused on, despite not stating it as such (it's 1969). This book still packs a punch despite being less than 300 pages, but I still wish it was slightly longer and the characters a little more flushed out.

vidyareads's review against another edition

adventurous informative tense
My heart was pounding the whole time ! What a fascinating read!

There is an important character, the Djinn show in the form of  the main character Melati’s OCD who never leaves her side. With the year being 1969 and how access to medical care for OCD was not available or seen as needing care either, I thought the author did a terrific job of helping us readers understand what an person goes thru. The conflict between Malays and Chinese is one I wasn’t aware either, so highly educational book. Plenty to learn from this book also about human values, the friends one makes and how one persevere.

Highly recommend !

neil0rbleed's review against another edition

emotional sad tense medium-paced

joceraptor's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional medium-paced

thefitnerdmaid's review against another edition

emotional fast-paced

anmcnulty's review against another edition

This was an incredibly moving story following a 16 year old Malaysian girl named Melati, suffering from OCD, and caught up in the 1969 race riot between the Chinese and Malays.

daintybooks's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

this book made me tear up, finished it in less than a day and i really liked it. i think it’s a very important book and i would totally recommend to everyone. i’m giving this book a 3.5 stars because the writing style wasn’t for me, but still. this book is amazing. i was literally so emotional.