Survivor Song, by Paul Tremblay

wanderingwindy's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

As I predicted, Paul Tremblay has done it again!  Survivor Song was freakin’ awesome!

On the surface, it’s a wild one-day ride depicting a chaotic beginning of a rabies-like viral pandemic but tucked underneath the mayhem is a heart wrenching story about forever best friends (my personal soft spot ❤️). ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️/5

To be honest though, it did not reach my ‘New Fav Level’ like A Head Full of Ghosts did in 2018 and The Cabin at the End of the World in 2019.

It’s worth noting that Tremblay finished writing this novel prior to the current pandemic.  It’s kinda eerie 😟

heather10119's review against another edition

Really enjoyed this one.  Very timely read, since we're currently dealing with a viral outbreak.  I'm sure that heightened the story for me.  I could definitely relate to certain things, and saw some things mirrored to real life.  I really felt like I was along for the ride with these two women.  Loved the surprise, but I won't say more as I don't want to spoil anything for anyone.  Definitely recommend!

typicalbooks's review against another edition

Being very interested in reading Survivor Song I swallowed the high price-tag for the ebook. I've been somewhat limiting my mail and packages, so e-books are the way to go here, and I wanted to not have to wait to read this.

It was written well before our virus hit. Our virus. What a way to domesticate a pandemic. Tremblay does a few things to domesticate this as one lead is a pregnant woman, and the virus here is a kind of rabies. Things we all know well enough,

That said, I actively avoid pregnant-woman media as it does not speak to me on any deep intellectual level but this has a grit to it I could not pass up. The pregnancy lends several notes to the plot and none of them that soft glowy cooing motherhood stuff.

Ramola is my rock through this too - a no-nonsense woman who is no superhero but forges on as if she were. This is a picture of perseverance that I'd like to think we all possess and would fall into once push comes to shove, and shove comes to run, and run means 'for your life'.

bookishaffinity's review against another edition

2/5 stars

This is gonna be a short review, because I just don't have a whole lot to say about this one. The beginning was gripping and tense, but then this just started to draaaaaag. I had lost interest in the characters and the plot, and was just so bored. I honestly started skimming somewhere around the halfway mark.

Don't come for me, but I'm just gonna say it- I think the reason why this book is getting such high ratings is because there is a lot in here that can relate to our current pandemic. I can see and acknowledge that, but those aspects still didn't make this a good read for me.

raeallic's review against another edition

Paul Tremblay's writing is propelling, it's a heightened ride from beginning to end. For me, it's a challenge to continually read his books as they plunder into my deepest fears, in this case, a viral infection spreading from animal to human. They are all too real, and the small community in which this story takes place could be the one you or I live in, this could happen to you (or me). Do not look at the length of time it took me to read this and determine it could not have been good, look at the time it took me to read this and know that every third chapter or so, I HAD to put it down because my anxiety was so heightened by the events therein that I was constantly on the verge of panic. It's that good, Tremblay is that good.

If you've never read him and this book hasn't released yet (July 7, 2020) add it to your TBR and pick up his book Cabin at the End of the World. Another amazing apocalyptic read about a home invasion. Terrifying.

ARC provided by William Morrow. This is an honest review.

msbethanyh's review against another edition

Just too dark and depressing. I didn't enjoy it

marie78's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

hollie313's review against another edition

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

millen13's review

What better time to read a book about a rabies epidemic changing people into near zombies than while feeling sick during a pandemic. This is the story of Ramola and pregnant, bitten Natalie who are trying to get to a hospital so the baby can be delivered via cesarean before Nat succumbs to the infection. Truly haunting and heart-wrenching. Published in 2020 a lot of things are eerily recognizable and realistic.

etakloknok's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced