huh's review against another edition

Alright, the hype train here has crashed straight into a racist and ableist mess. The ideas of innocence &c are tied into racist and eugenicist ways of thinking (see Jackie Wang). This is most clear in the comments about Lebron. Lockwood also does a ton of ‘I acknowledge this MIGHT be problematic’ and then continues to do it.

Wish they’d stop trying to make the ‘Internet novel’ happen

Tho if you must read one: Ducks, Newburyport

cactuscloudsreads's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective slow-paced

The first half of the book had me wondering why I was reading this book instead of just scrolling Instagram. I have been taking a break from social media, so it felt irritating to read. I have been pulling away from how much time in a day I offer to social media. In the end... this book resonated beautifully. I thought I would trade it; when I finished it, I decided I will keep it. It is a perfect portrayal of our lives in social media, and what pulls us back into the real world. My favorite quote from near the beginning of the book, “Your attention is holy, it is your soul spending itself.”

sophiamreads's review against another edition

challenging emotional lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

frecklefacelovesbooks's review against another edition

emotional reflective slow-paced

yahaira's review against another edition

I laughed and I cried. I loved this damn book.

This book just hit me in the right away. I can't stop thinking about it and haven't been able to start a new book.

I call the first part the 'doom scroll of internet history'. I constantly kept asking myself how I knew all these references and then why I knew these references. You see the mc get immersed in "the portal", become famous in it, and then trying to constantly keep up with the language of the portal.

The second part is still written in a similar style, but she is out of the portal and dealing with a family crisis, so the blurbs are longer and the writing really becomes poetic. We see her living with her family, still thinking internet thoughts while going through hell. She thinks about posting but doesn't.

I've seen reviews that say this is two novels, but I disagree. I think both parts work together beautifully and I love how they play off each other. You need the light, fluffy half to realize how important the second half is. As someone who used to be online all the time and now, well, isn't, I can maybe relate to this character more than others. I have experienced grief and loss that you don't share online and that make you realize 'the stream' will continue without you.

gulpfreenese's review against another edition

challenging medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

This book is unlike anything else. Very intense.

sofiasilva's review against another edition

emotional funny sad fast-paced

elenapzki's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

srosengarten's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

ciarajalberts's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced