The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak

panda8882's review against another edition

This book took me a long time to get through. I liked the unique style it was written it with death as the narrator. I liked the story that was told. I just felt a little impatient at times with it. I'm interested to see the movie and how it translates to film.

kgee19's review against another edition

This book is simply amazing. It took me a while to get into it, but once I did I couldn't put it down. When I was in college I read a lot of books about/written by Holocaust survivors (thanks to a WWII lit course), and this is one of the few that I've read from the side of Germany that was "neutral" so to speak. I adored it, as heartbreaking as it is.

digitalduckling's review against another edition

This book is one that will change your outlook on life. Told from Death's perspective, it will grip you from the first page and won't let go until you finish. Haunting. Beautifully written.

hannasbooked's review against another edition

Engrossing and hard to put down. Loved the page breaks from our narrator's own personal commentary. Might just have to add this one to the rotation for yearly reading.

lsmith36's review against another edition

Find review here: https://athroughzbooks.wordpress.com/2017/05/18/review-the-book-thief/

I’ve been recommended this book countless times, but in true fashion, I have put it off and forgotten about it and decided against reading it for years. Honestly, I’m glad I did, because this is a book I wasn’t ready for until now. I did not expect it to be so deep, so it was a bit of a shock when compared to the other books I’ve been reading lately. I will say that this was a slow read, because there was a lot of heavy things happening that needed to be digested properly as a reader. The prose was another aspect that needed to be enjoyed slowly, as it is beautiful written but takes a moment to absorb.

If you want to read a beautiful book, I’d point you in this direction. I did expect to cry a lot more than I did however, but maybe I just had time to steel myself for it. There are several moments of character death in this novel (it’s WW2 man, what did you expect?), but I only teared up when the main character Lisel was reunited with Max, the Jew her family hid for a good third of the book. For some reason, I was under the impression that Max would be a more constant character in the story, but I also understand the literary choices of him not being that way.

There isn’t much for me to say regarding what I didn’t like about this book, because there was nothing I didn’t like. If anything, it was slow going, which is rare for me, but it’s also nice to find a piece that requires me to take my time. As far as recommendations go, I would encourage anyone who enjoys books and reading to give it a chance. Defiantly be at a place where you want to spend some time on it, and be ready to tear up a little (I did towards the end), and be ready to think and hurt for the characters here. This is a novel that is certainly worth the respect and love surrounding it.

jxtr_24's review against another edition

4.5 ⭐

beautifully written and heartbreaking story.

I loved all the characters that were present in this book. I was able to connect and invest with them from the start. The relationship as well with the family was very wholesome. Andy and Liesel's friendship and adventure. Her connection with Max and their struggles. All of these stories were heartwarming to read and devastating at the same time as they will leave you pain and pain and pain.

marcod's review against another edition

Ottimo libro! Il libro è raccontato dalla Morte in persona, nella Germania nazista. La protagonista è Liesel Meminger la quale viene adottata dalla famiglia Hubermann. Il padre adottivo le insegnerà a leggere e a scrivere. Un giorno Liesel assiste ad un rogo organizzato dai nazisti nel quale bruciano tutti i libri considerati illegali dal regime e il quel momento lei ruba un libro per salvarlo. Non è la prima volta e nemmeno l'ultima...Poi arriva Max, un ebreo che andrà a vivere in cantina e da li è come una poesia che mi ha accompagnato per mano fino alla fine. Consigliato!

larafrances's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

kweziferguson's review against another edition

Will forever be an all-time favourite that sticks out in my memory as emotionally impactful and wonderfully original. A beautifully told story about overcoming hardship through love. An awesome read.

madeguzman's review against another edition

this novel is masterfully told. the story is very unsettling making you want to read more, definitely a page-turner! i just want to say that DEATH has a heart. HIGHLY recommending that both the young and adult MUST read this book.