bloodinthesigil's review

like all anthologies there were some very amazing parts and some that didn't stand out as much! The truly cosmicly weird stories were my favorites!

thomaswjoyce's review

I loved everything about this book. The cover by Matthew Revert is brilliant. The introduction by Scott Nicolay reads like it could have been an entry on its own, his tone is that light and entertaining. And every story is thoroughly well written and original and utterly engaging. Standout entries for me include Amanda Hard's 'Rosabelle Believe' which was unexpectedly touching, T.E. Grau's 'Transmission' which brought the cosmic horror in spades, 'Armaggedon Baby' by John C. Foster which had some of the best description and was told with a really authentic voice, and Josh Malerman's 'The Givens Sensor Board' which begins rather slowly but with some clever use of onomatopoeia (yes, I had to look it up) increases the tension almost imperceivably.
I feel like I'm listing half of the book but 'Darkhorse Actual' by George C. Cotronis, 'Feedback Loop' by Joshua Chaplinsky and 'Little Girl Blue, Come Cry Your Way Home' by Damien Angelica Walters deserve some special attention also.
Each story is accompanied by an original illustration by the talented Luke Spooner and the overall layout (by Lori Michelle) is extremely well done. I thoroughly recommend this book to any horror fan.

wart's review

I received a free ARC

I am having a really hard time expressing how I feel about this anthology. Anthologies are always hit or miss for me because it's very rare that I love every story and when I hit one I don't love it's hard for me to get back into the groove of reading. So it took me awhile to get through this book, and then it took me awhile to get this review written.

I suppose the best I can say about the stories in this book is that they are overall pretty good. Some I really could not stand, but most of them weren't bad. There was one that really blew me away - From: Item L5161ORDE, 'The Dangstrum Interruption', to be specific - but mostly it was just an underwhelming collection.