Rogue Protocol, by Martha Wells

abcdaron's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

alanna666's review against another edition

3.5 stars. Not quite as good as the first two but still a quick, fun story. They’re perfect reads between longer books. I continue to love smart ass murderbot even if the plot was a bit meh.

girlbossclytemnestra's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny tense fast-paced

flightpool's review against another edition

adventurous funny tense fast-paced

titusmd's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

ishouldreadthat's review against another edition

Originally posted to I Should Read That

Rogue Protocol is a close second favourite in the series for very similar reasons — it feels like a self-contained story and has excellent secondary characters. Murderbot dives deeper into the conflicts of the first book and is on a mission to recover data from a dead station. Apparently I just love watching Murderbot go on missions, waffle their way through human interaction, and uncover more of their own pesky human emotions. I found this book to be immensely satisfying and enjoyable!

Like Artificial Condition, Rogue Protocol has a wonderful bot that Murderbot must interact with –a bot who is basically the exact opposite of ART and makes Murderbot exceedingly uncomfortable. Throughout the book, Murderbot learns uncomfortable truths through Miki and their human companions. This is one of the most impactful relationships in the series and I absolutely loved it.

Rogue Protocol is the only Murderbot book to make me cry. Take from that what you will.

bookdragon2802's review

adventurous emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

What is better than a non-binary socially awkward robot with a paradoxical dislike for humans but an overwhelming desire to help, not too mention an obsession with series shows (who isn’t, right?!)? Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I am in love with Murderbot and all their ridiculous idiosyncrasies. And in this instalment we even got cute pet/friend bots and scary murderous mean bots. Just absolutely loving the world and multi-layered characters Martha Wells is able to create in such a short word count.
Murderbot owns my souls and I absolutely need to know what happens next.

theybedax's review against another edition

Murderbot I love you and all your partially contained snark!

booksandprosecco's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

alexsbookshlf's review

loved this one.

adding this quote because it just fully captures murderbot and everything that they've gone through.

"i hated caring about stuff. but apparently once you start, you just can't stop."