Sweetshop of Dreams, by Jenny Colgan

mandyerinreads's review against another edition

I absolutely loved this book. This is the second book I have read by Jenny Colgan, and the only thing negative I have to say is that it is very hard to find her books here. This is a sweet, heartwarming story. It is able to be realistic and charming at the same time. I hope that I will be able to find the sequel to read it soon!

koleworld's review against another edition

I'm going to be reading a handful of these super sweet, innocent, romance novels because I'm trying to figure something out.

So I started with this one.

It's a...fine story. A city girl has to go to the country and run a candy shop. She has a terrible boyfriend in the city, and naturally will fall in love with some country dude.

80% of this book stares at you with big, blue, innocent eyes, and feels very Hallmark-y. Then an event happens and the entire scene feels like it was written by a different author. It goes from Hallmark to...well not HBO but something more along the lines of AMC? It felt a little jarring, but nothing too crazy.

So why did I rate this so low?

Because Rosie doesn't learn a damn thing the entire time.
SpoilerHer boyfriend in London is completely useless. He's a whiney, entitled brat who wont do anything for himself and takes Rosie for granted. When she goes away to help sell the candy shop, he moves back in with his mother because he can't BEAR to do his own laundry or cook his own food. Gross. But, Rosie being the sweet, kind, innocent woman that she is, finds it endearing (?? can't relate).

But eventually, the time apart makes all the cute quirks(?) her boyfriend has come into focus and Rosie finally dumps him. And he's the WORST about it.

While she's been in the country she's been helping a local doctor perform house visits for some of the people in town. One of them is a surly dude, who for sure has PTSD and naturally they start to create a rapport. Eventually she realizes she has feeling for him. Some stuff goes down and homeboy does NOT handle it correctly. And instead, pretty much just ignores Rosie. When they do run into each other he uses the excuse that "no one can get any cell reception in this town so why would I call you? Everyone talks to people in person if there's any business to deal with." Okay dude, but you didn't come talk to her in person either so...??? Basically, he continues to be terrible and never apologizes. They part ways and Rosie goes home to complain to her aunt, who is like "well don't do what I did and miss out on a chance for true love." And Rosie is like, ya know what, you're right." And chases after the dude. (*insert angry emoji face here*)

And then they basically have a meet cute at the end of the book and then the book wraps up with updates on how everyone is doing several weeks later. Like, hang on. Rosie has exactly ZERO character growth from the beginning of the book. She basically left a relationship where she was a doormat and had to do everything, and then found a grumpy dude that can maybe do his own laundry, but still can't even tell her how he feels? Can't even say "I'm sorry I made you feel bad?"

2 stars for zero character growth and terrible men.

paucev's review against another edition

An absolute delight. And the ideal book for this season, when the weather is bleak, and cold, and all I want to do is stay indoors and curl up under a blanket.
Truth is, just like Rosie to the country side, I started up feeling unsure about this book. But as I turned the pages, I grew fonder and fonder of the story, the characters and the sweet shop itself. Yes, it’s a bit predictable and yes it would give you a toothache, but what can I say? I’m a sucker for British Chicklit

geodora's review against another edition

Nedopadljivi likovi, traljavo napisana, puna stereotipa zbog kojih sam prevrtala očima na svakoj stranici, ali hajde, zbog Henrija Kara poklanjam dve zvezdice

margreads's review against another edition

So, for something completely different I wrote some thoughts on this book

kat_the_bookcat's review against another edition

You know, I'm not a huge fan of Rosie. Yeah, the story was cutesy, but I wasn't really hooked. I was more interested in Aunt Lilian's story than Rosie's. Oops?

marsoplin's review against another edition

funny lighthearted

merryghoul's review against another edition

God, I love a story that lives in two time periods with women who are Not So Different After All... and an emotionally unavailable man? In the English countryside? Y’all already know I am IN. I’m SOLD. Cupcake cafe was an ABERRATION.

shelbykisgen's review against another edition

Delightful as usual!

livgliese's review against another edition

My mom told me about this book and how I would love the candy parts. In reality she was trying to help me through my breakup by showing me my ex (behaved similar to Gerad) and how life can be better without a man-child where you get stuck sleeping in late, watch tv and then being too tired to go out... and even though I normal would like this kind of books but find them cliche this book made me feel okay. Really okay, for the first time i a month