A Morbid Taste for Bones, by Ellis Peters

devafagan's review against another edition

Re-read, 2011. Still wonderful! Cadfael is such a marvelous protagonist. This books have engaging mysteries, wonderful observations of humanity from the absurd to the wise, the funny to the tragic. And some very beautiful prose, especially the descriptions of various characters and of the natural world.

leothil's review against another edition

A quite enjoyable story in a setting I very much like: medieval Britain! My dad really enjoys this series, so I'll probably read a few more.

cantwelljr's review against another edition

Charming, and certainly unique

omnibozo22's review against another edition

Watched a couple episodes of a BBC production of one of the Cadfael stories. Don't remember which one, now. Bumped into this one on audio and decided to try it out from the beginning of the series. Great fun to follow Cadfael's detective skills in a murder mystery. Peters did a great job of not falling victim to including CSI stuff, as he stuck to hardtack deduction and observation... and a couple of clever traps. I'll read more of the series in the future.

jennyonthebook's review against another edition

Ugh. Read it for book club but it was confusing and weird and I didn't care for it at all.

pierreikonnikov's review against another edition

Didn't finish, no point persevering past 50 pages. Dull as ditch water. Characters are far from interesting, the plot is easy to guess, the world is not fleshed out brilliantly, and the intrigues are so hackneyed that they refuse to go south of the river at night. Not appalling, not good either.

kenchingfox's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

mamatoca's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

astrangerhere's review against another edition

Starting Cadfael, enjoyed the first. We'll see how it goes.

dutchtineke's review against another edition

This was an okay story, in the sense that I will not actively search for other books, but I do still have one other book in this serie which I'll read, but not right away.

I will take this book to the annual BC-meetup in Castricum.