A Reaper at the Gates, by Sabaa Tahir

liminal's review

adventurous dark emotional tense slow-paced

sheepishlysarah's review against another edition

This was the best one yet! All the little threads spread out from the first two books are really coming together and I'm loving it. I really enjoyed getting the Nightbringer POV in this book it was unexpected but they're really good chapters. I enjoy Helene's chapters more and more, she's got the great political intrigue plot line with her sister and Marcus.

readwithme's review against another edition

3.5 stars

thearcticcircle's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

karouslibrary's review against another edition

Mkay. Here we go.

*stuffs chocolate in my mouth, sobbing* I fucking survived this book. This TOMB of a book.

*drinks a beer in one* I CAN and WILL go to the next.

*rests head on toilet* I might not make it. But Elias better.

trashxcat's review against another edition

3.5/5

I really loved An Ember in the Ashes, but I feel like Torch took this series in a weird direction that continues in Reaper. I love Sabaa's writing but the constant doom and gloom tone of this book and the last book is a little depressing, and I've almost completely lost interest in Elias' story arc. Unpopular opinion, but Helene is probably my favorite character at the moment and I like her scenes with Harper, but at the same time I'm not super interested in all the battle and political scenes she has. I'll probably still read the last book in the series just to find out what happens.

lizisliterate's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark tense fast-paced

4.7

this was so painful. hey remember what i said in my review of book 2 about my heart getting prodded but not yet squeezed by the characters?? yeah uh so,, it got squeezed. i'm in pain. and i am scared to read the finale

super fast paced as per usual, and i think i liked the plot moreso towards the end of the book, but that is not to say that i did not thoroughly enjoy it the entire time! just more painful at the end hehe

i think helene has my favourite pov in this book and i am so glad her pov was added in the second book! perhaps it is because she becomes so much more fleshed out and Real and maybe because i like her a lot as a character now but nonetheless i am still terrified for book 4. i do hope my heart survives. all these characters need a lot of hugs <3

also! i gave this a slightly higher rating than book 1, but i think i might like the plot in book 1 more but the characters more in this one. hm much to ponder and am unsure if i truly liked this book more

mollyfrench2's review against another edition

adventurous tense medium-paced

ashleymeece's review against another edition

If you like fantasy and you're not reading this series then WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? This series just has everything I want in a fantasy: strong world building that is well paced throughout the story, intense action, magic that feels genuine within the world, just the right about of romance that doesn't overwhelm other aspects of the story, villains that have motivations beyond "ahaha I'm evil because why not", smart plotting that constantly leaves me guessing, main characters that make my heart just ache every time something bad happens to them and make me yell in triumph whenever they succeed, and a touch of destiny. This book in particular really had some amazing character progression, and the last third of the book had me SO SHOOK. Also THAT ENDING. WAT. Just read this series. Please.

5/5. Also, the audio narration for this book is excellent, with multiple narrators and great acting.

For those that HAVE read this installment: OMG HELENE MY CHILD MY DAUGHTER I JUST WANT TO HUG YOU AND LET YOU REST YOU POOR CHILD YOU'RE DOING EVERYTHING YOU CAN I'M SO SORRY THAT THE WORLD IS SO TERRIBLE TO YOU BECAUSE YOU DESERVE ALL THE HAPPINESS I LOVE YOU PLEASE SURVIVE THE SERIES WITH HARPER AND YOUR SISTER AND THE BABY AND LIVE A NICE PEACEFUL LIFE DEDICATED TO YOUR COUNTRY THANK YOU FOR BEING ONE OF MY FAV YA FEMALE PROTAGS EVER

katewantsadrink's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

This book disappointed me very much. After the first two I had high hopes for this one but it seems it was written as the worst kind of a filler book. So much happens and yet there's emotion missing. You read 10 chapters from different POVs and when it finally gets intriguing, it switches to the slowest chapters ever. Yes, a lot does happen but it is all but a filler book. The MCs - Laia and Elias - that we've followed through the first 2 books have turned into secondary characters, just there to move the plot. To service the plot, but the plot should be servicing them. No positive change in characters and it's hidden so well in action packed chapters. Action that just brings no solutions and no emotion and no connections. It is very disappointing to use the third book of 4book series as a filler one.
SpoilerThe only resemblance of emotion/connection/relationship is what Helene and Harper have and even that feels empty.
It is very hard to read and find anything good about this book. There's nothing wrong about a plot driven story but it is wrong when it lacks the essence of the characters. Which this book does so disappointingly. Overall, though, the book does follow good plot and has an amazing and emotional ending (yes, I was surprised).