Our Dark Duet, by Victoria Schwab

bimeariver's review against another edition

4.2 / 5: this fantasy duology was so incredibly captivating—the idea of giving the monsters of the story voices of their own and reveling in an existence lit by humanity is so brilliant that i had to give this second and final book more than just a simple four-star.

the darkness that permeates this world isn’t just physical, and it doesn’t just live with the monsters of verity but also in the humans responsible for their existence, some humans suffering as a result. every single character breathed a life of their own and while the ending of the first book felt a bit anti-climactic, this one was a rush of adrenaline all in its own, shifting between different perspectives in a war that didn’t rev up its final engine until the last couple of chapters. they were all so well-developed, and i was immediately fascinated with them as soon as i revisited this world, feeling so unlike the dread i had before i finally decided it was time to finish this duology.

while i admit the ending felt a bit,,,off, almost as if there was something missing, that’s a whole grief of its own that has no choice but to create another monster while we’re at it. i highly recommend this duology to the readers who like to see a fantasy so grounded not by magic, but by the horrors and darkness that humanity still stir up to this day.

it’s up to us to shine our own light.

content warnings // (a lot of) blood, mention of loss of a loved one, mention of child death, death, fire, mention of mass sacrifice, gore, kidnapping, murder, (sort of?) skeletons (or at least characters with skeletal features), and graphic depictions of violence.

elenavhaps's review against another edition

Okay, so coming from me a 3-star rating on a Schwab book is pretty bizarre. I love Victoria and her writing is absolutely phenomenal, and if it weren't for... life... I'm pretty sure my enjoyment of this book would have increased drastically.

I got my hands on this book as soon as I could, started it, and then was interrupted at some point in the middle and stopped reading it for about two weeks. In those two weeks my interest and passion for it shrank to pretty much nothing, which had nothing to do with the book itself. Our Dark Duet just had the misfortune of being the book I was reading right as life decided it wanted to kick me in the ass.

But aside from that, I truly did enjoy this. I didn't like the ending, I thought it was left too open ended, which I'm pretty sure was intentional, but whatever. And also, if I had read it in one glorious sitting as I wanted to, that Thing that happened would probably have killed me dead.

Nonetheless, I will forever read every little thing Victoria ever writes because she is a genius and I love her.

kielirose's review against another edition

How in the heck can you write an ending like that?!?! I am just looking at the cover of this book and I have no idea how to feel.

alexmac00's review against another edition

I almost didn't read this book.

After reading This Savage Song last summer, I wasn't sure I wanted to continue. I liked the first book, but it didn't quite grab me in the way Schwab's other works have and I felt as if I was mostly satisfied with the way TSS had ended. However, Victoria Schwab has become one of my favorite authors in the last few years and I've picked up each of her books on release day since I first discovered her. Ultimately, I ended up pre-ordering Our Dark Duet last minute and I definitely don't regret it.

I thought this was a stronger book than the first. It moved incredibly quickly and had quite a few really nice payoffs. A lot of my questions from the first book were answered and I felt like the conclusion was really satisfying. My biggest worry with dark stories like this is the cop-out ending (or as I like to call it, Doctor Who syndrome), but Schwab didn't shy away from keeping the ending both tragic and hopeful at the same time. At times, the book felt a bit like an action movie and often had me turning to the next chapter long after I planned to stop reading. My biggest gripe with the book is less to do with Schwab's story and more with my own personal experience, but I didn't have any strong connection to any of the characters which made some of the emotional beats of the book (and there are plenty, trust me) not quite as impactful as they should have been.

Overal, Our Dark Duet is another excellent addition to Schwab's body of work and I can't wait to see what she publishes next.

paaigee's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

allison_leigh's review against another edition

Ahhhhhhh I just finished this book and it broke me how could she just die I pictured many ways it ending but never this way it feels like everyone is dead only august is left and now I’m so sad this was incredible the characters the ending was ya know I can’t it’s just ahhhhh I can’t believe it and how will I pick up another book

novelreader13's review against another edition

Our Dark Duet takes place about six months after the events in This Savage Song and it is such a good follow-up!
I loved seeing how what happened in the first book affected our main characters and I loved that the villain(s) were even creepier and more disturbing than before. Other than that I feel much the same way about this than I did about This Savage Song. This is just a really well crafted, atmospheric and unique series, and I absolutely loved it! 4.5⭐

jedaiaries's review against another edition

No one prepared me for how this book was gonna go. Someone sedate me right now

fairytalereader's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

annamariaeliatoma's review against another edition

THIS BOOK MADE ME SOB AND THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING.