Reviews tagging Confinement

Phoenix Extravagant, by Yoon Ha Lee

ellisdex's review

adventurous mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

Very LGBTQ+ friendly - has a nonbinary protagonist and other nonbinary characters who are part of the world, non-hetero relationships are accepted, polyamorous relationships are accepted

puttingwingsonwords's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

samusc's review

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

The cover is stunning and has been imprinted in my mind since before the book was released.
The nonbinary and polyamorous representation is well done.
The concept of
Spoiler wiping out an opponent's culture by actively destroying their artwork and turning the remains into a weapon is so meaningful, wow </spoiler/> !
I love that Jebi is an artist and not a soldier. The whole situation plays to the idea that for a successful revolution, anyone can contribute regardless of skill set.
The romance aspect of this story and Vei as a character is so unique.
What I loved most about this book is the humor in the voice given to
Spoiler Arazi
I’d recommend Phoenix Extravagant to any fantasy fan, but especially those that have read a lot of Young Adult and are looking to branch out into Adult Fantasy. Jebi is 27 and somewhat ignorant of the world around them at the beginning, yet rebellious in the best ways. The language is approachable, the twists exhilarating, and the few sex related scenes handled with care.
The conclusion sets us up well for a sequel that I can’t wait to read. This book was a lovely introduction for me to Yoon Ha Lee’s work and I’m looking forward to more!

bookcaptivated's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful reflective tense medium-paced

thiscubed's review

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

cursedepub's review

adventurous fast-paced

A fun, quick, and exciting adventure story. Not particularly complex, especially compared to Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire series, but still a balance of entertaining and thoughtful, with a darker tone at the end. I can't say I'm particularly impressed by the book - I found the characters mostly flat and was wishing for more depth and exploration overall - but its a good book if you want to just curl up and have a good time.

yuna's review

adventurous dark sad medium-paced

A lot to like here. The way politics is handled is layered, and though Hwaguk is the most sympathetic there's no simplistic good and evil here. The magic is interesting without getting too lost in its own details, and I liked the mechanic of destroying art to make magic pigment. Was hoping we'd see a bit more exploration of agency in the automata beyond Arazi though, especially since Jebi wonders about it on a few occasions.

But ugh. Jebi. How can someone so competent also be so utterly lacking in common sense? When it helps make conflict in the plot I guess. I like a lot of what their character represented: they care about art and history, they care about other people's feelings and well-being, they care about protecting someone's agency even if that's an automaton dragon. They're not particularly special--it wasn't clear to me if their manipulation of the pigments was specifically their talent or something in theory any artist could've done--they're a good artist but it didn't seem like the artist equivalent to Vei's dualist prime. But they're not a super fighter or a genius or anything like that. In many ways they're average and somewhat relatable because they're not always on their game in every situation. And I liked that they represent the view of one who doesn't have fervent feelings either way about the war and Hwaguk's being occupied by Razan. Like, it affects them yes because hello colonized state, but also not? They're not gungho about the rebels or getting cozy with the overlords...they're just trying to make money to pay the bills.

All good things! But OMG could they be annoying at times. So many "oops I shouldn't have said/done that" or "oops, I should've remembered/thought of that first." And their ineptitude got played for laughs a bit too much for my taste. I liked the complexities of their relationship with Vei, but I didn't feel much of the romance. Too often I was like...why does Vei like them? She's awesome, and Jebi is kind of...their memory sucks if it provides conflict for the plot.

perditorian's review