Reviews tagging Sexual content

Phoenix Extravagant, by Yoon Ha Lee

foreverinastory's review

adventurous medium-paced

Finally read this 6 months later than I intended to!

Rep: Nonbinary queer BIPOC MC (asian coded), biracial queer love interest, bisexual female side character, BIPOC cast of characters, queer-normative world.

CWs: Blood, confinement (to rooms/cell), death, murder, sexual content, torture, violence, grief, xenophobia.ย

madarauchiha's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

ย โค๏ธ ๐Ÿงก ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿ’š ๐Ÿ’™ ๐Ÿ’œย  my about / byf / CW info carrd: uchiha-madara ๐Ÿ’œ ๐Ÿ’™ ๐Ÿ’š ๐Ÿ’› ๐Ÿงก โค๏ธ

I loved this book so fucking much!! I'm trying not to spoil it here. I loved everyone's characterization in this. I had been a little tired of dystopias and civil wars and rebelling against semi faceless governments. This plot was tweaked enough that it was refreshing and interesting to engage with. At times the plot felt a little convenient but not enough to be irritating.

content warnings:
medium NSFW scenarios, gore, murder, violence, emetophobia / vomit, massacre, mass murder, genocide, ethnic cleansing,ย

major: colonization, wars, imprisonment, imprisonment, heights, outer space, poison, manipulation, emotional abuse, violence, torture, gore, violence, spiders?,

ellisdex's review

adventurous mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

Very LGBTQ+ friendly - has a nonbinary protagonist and other nonbinary characters who are part of the world, non-hetero relationships are accepted, polyamorous relationships are accepted

claudiearseneault's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

Really enjoyed this book. It is incresibly easy to love Jebi and root for them, and it's refreshing to have a tale of rebellion through the eyes of an artist who really does not stomach the violence well. I wish we'd had more Arazi cause I ADORE the dragon, and the moment it really enters the story is the moment it flipped from good to excellent for me. Also loved the complicated siblings dynamic between Jebi and their sister. This book had a lot for me in it.

puttingwingsonwords's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

samusc's review

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

ย
The cover is stunning and has been imprinted in my mind since before the book was released.
The nonbinary and polyamorous representation is well done.
The concept of
Spoiler wiping out an opponent's culture by actively destroying their artwork and turning the remains into a weapon is so meaningful, wow </spoiler/> !
I love that Jebi is an artist and not a soldier. The whole situation plays to the idea that for a successful revolution, anyone can contribute regardless of skill set.
The romance aspect of this story and Vei as a character is so unique.
What I loved most about this book is the humor in the voice given to
Spoiler Arazi
Iโ€™d recommend Phoenix Extravagant to any fantasy fan, but especially those that have read a lot of Young Adult and are looking to branch out into Adult Fantasy. Jebi is 27 and somewhat ignorant of the world around them at the beginning, yet rebellious in the best ways. The language is approachable, the twists exhilarating, and the few sex related scenes handled with care.
The conclusion sets us up well for a sequel that I canโ€™t wait to read. This book was a lovely introduction for me to Yoon Ha Leeโ€™s work and Iโ€™m looking forward to more!ย

thiscubed's review

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

cursedepub's review

adventurous fast-paced

A fun, quick, and exciting adventure story. Not particularly complex, especially compared to Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire series, but still a balance of entertaining and thoughtful, with a darker tone at the end. I can't say I'm particularly impressed by the book - I found the characters mostly flat and was wishing for more depth and exploration overall - but its a good book if you want to just curl up and have a good time.ย