Reviews tagging Blood

Phoenix Extravagant, by Yoon Ha Lee

daisyandherbooks's review

🐉 Phoenix Extravagant by Yoon Ha Lee ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️🐉

Jebi a painter, finds themselves jobless and has to turn to their people’s enemy - the Razanei - who occupied their country, for work. Jebi works for the government by painting mystical sigils on the automaton soldiers masks which animate them. Jebi also has to help fix the dragon automaton Arazi for the leaders. But Jebi uncovers the horror of what the Razeni government has done, and plans to help the dragon - a pacifist - to escape.

What I liked:
✨Jebi is non binary
✨ There is a queer romance
✨World was super interesting
✨Arazi the talking dragon was my FAVE!!
✨The integration of art, war, rebellion and politics merged into one made the plot really interesting and you wanted to know what happened next.
✨Set up nicely for the next book in the series
✨Poetic writing style

What I disliked:
✨At the beginning there was lots of world building, and so it confused me at first - but is the same with any epic fantasy book (especially the first in the series)
✨Lots of characters were introduced at once, and was difficult to keep track of them.

Overall I’m really excited to see what happens in the next book! This story was really interesting and I’d reccomend to anyone who likes Leigh bardugo or books about technology, with a hint of rebellion on the side!

foreverinastory's review

adventurous medium-paced

Finally read this 6 months later than I intended to!

Rep: Nonbinary queer BIPOC MC (asian coded), biracial queer love interest, bisexual female side character, BIPOC cast of characters, queer-normative world.

CWs: Blood, confinement (to rooms/cell), death, murder, sexual content, torture, violence, grief, xenophobia.

amandaquotidianbooks's review

adventurous reflective relaxing fast-paced

I loved the first third so much! Seeing the slow unveiling of the world, enjoying Jebi’s perspective, hearing about art... the second two thirds were paced much more quickly and involved more action and tension. I would have preferred a slower paced novel. However, I loved the historical, Asian (Vietnamese) second world fantasy, the nonbinary and bisexual representation, and unique mythology and magic system. If there is a sequel, I will be reading it!

nikolas_fox's review

adventurous emotional funny reflective tense fast-paced

This book was so great for so many reasons. All the characters felt SO real and I can't say I ever expected to fall in love with a mechanical dragon, but here we are. This book explored the realities of war in a very real way while looking through a viewpoint not of a soldier, but an artist. The representation in here was also amazing and not a plot point, but just was. And that was amazing.

racheloddment's review

benediction's review

adventurous medium-paced

puttingwingsonwords's review against another edition

adventurous dark medium-paced

samusc's review

adventurous emotional inspiring medium-paced

The cover is stunning and has been imprinted in my mind since before the book was released.
The nonbinary and polyamorous representation is well done.
The concept of
Spoiler wiping out an opponent's culture by actively destroying their artwork and turning the remains into a weapon is so meaningful, wow </spoiler/> !
I love that Jebi is an artist and not a soldier. The whole situation plays to the idea that for a successful revolution, anyone can contribute regardless of skill set.
The romance aspect of this story and Vei as a character is so unique.
What I loved most about this book is the humor in the voice given to
Spoiler Arazi
I’d recommend Phoenix Extravagant to any fantasy fan, but especially those that have read a lot of Young Adult and are looking to branch out into Adult Fantasy. Jebi is 27 and somewhat ignorant of the world around them at the beginning, yet rebellious in the best ways. The language is approachable, the twists exhilarating, and the few sex related scenes handled with care.
The conclusion sets us up well for a sequel that I can’t wait to read. This book was a lovely introduction for me to Yoon Ha Lee’s work and I’m looking forward to more!

bookcaptivated's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful reflective tense medium-paced

beartha's review

adventurous reflective medium-paced

I really loved this. I don't quite even know what I'd compare it to in order to recommend it, but I just...it was such a solidly good book. Pleasant to read, you know? It helped that the audiobook was narrated by Emily Woo Zeller who is amazing.