The Glass Castle: A Memoir, by Jeannette Walls

adeleemma's review against another edition

dark emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

wileyclements's review

Couldn't decide between 3 or 4 stars. This book is incredibly well written, and the author's way of telling these memories is so vivid and beautiful, and you really get to know and care about these people. But this book can get really repetitive, as each of the memories are told in the same manner and there's nothing too engaging about the plot.

annacristofano's review

dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

kennaq's review

This woman truly has lived a 1000 lifetimes, easily one of my new favorite books

marblemenow's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful inspiring sad medium-paced

shellir's review

Family relationships can be so complex. Jeannette Walls does an amazing job with this memoir and we see a hard, but sometimes loving family in all its psychological mess bring forth some rather amazing and resilient children. I just wanted to feed those kids so bad and I was so mad at those parents. Her father’s parents were clearly much of the source of his dysfunction, but I didn’t really understand the reason for all of her mother’s parental neglect. I see she wrote a book about her Mother’s mother. Maybe that book would shed some light on that.

phthadani's review

What a brilliant book! I enjoyed every minute of this.

It centered around Jeannette and her siblings living a very nomadic life with very unstable and hedonist parents. Throughout the book, you see the parents looking for adventure and thrill through their nomadic and unconventional lifestyle, which leads the children to deprive of a stable childhood.

Reading Experience: 4 hours and 14 minutes

zuzuzaku's review

Hodnotiť memoáre je mimoriadne ťažké - lebo ako môžete hodnodiť život niekoho iného?

V prípade Jeannette Walls je to ale pomerne ľahké, pretože jej rozprávanie o živote na cestách, spolu s jej dysfunkčnou rodinou, v extrémnej chudobe, vás chytí už od prvej stránky a nepustí, kým sa nedostanete na tú poslednú (do šťastného konca). Miestami sa mi ale o jej detstve čítalo veľmi ťažko, pretože "výchova" jej rodčov skĺzavala do týraním a zanedbávania.

Fakt, ja som len v úžase, že sa jej podarilo vymaniť z chudoby a napriek všetkému stále milovať svojich rodičov. Po prečítaní som bola v takom šoku a úžase, že som si musela prečítať všetky články a rozhovory, čo sa mi o nej podarilo dohľadať a teda fakt rešpekt!

maggiecouttss's review

emotional reflective medium-paced

laura_ge's review

I had to read this as assigned summer reading for English class. It was probably the best book I've ever been assigned to read; that being said, there were definitely things about it that bothered me. My main gripe was that Walls' writing reads more like an objective narration of events that occurred throughout her life than a personal memoir, particularly in the earlier years. I would have appreciated knowing more about the author's internal monologue/thoughts while having experiencing all those adventures, rather than having to read a detached recounting of events.

Update 8/28/21: After being forced to overanalyze this in English class I have developed a strong resentment towards this book. That and the fact that I've been in a reading slump ever since finishing it bumps it down to two stars for me.