Neleisk man išeiti, by Kazuo Ishiguro

bashmash31's review against another edition

hopeful sad medium-paced

I kind of wasn’t following the book in the first few chapters but once I found out what it meant to be a carer, things went dark fast.

ahavagoldberg's review against another edition

dark emotional sad slow-paced

blairlindsey's review against another edition

mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

machung's review against another edition

dark emotional sad slow-paced

taywls's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

nicola8077's review against another edition

1.5*

cassiejones11's review against another edition

Having mixed feelings on this book. On one side I am moved reading this novel and I don’t think there was a twist as much as there is just glimpses of what is to come for the characters, which to me makes it that much more melancholy. I liked this book because I don’t think I’ve ever read anything quite in this writing style, but I also don’t know if I like the book because of the writing style. I’m usually into stories with a bit more plot but this entire book was Kathy’s reminiscing on her life, and at times I liked it but other times I felt it got stale. I think the culmination of Tommy and Kathy (and the reader) finally hearing the truth of their world from Madame and Miss Emily was both heartbreaking and important because their reactions and the aftermath highlight just how innocent and sheltered they are from the realities of their world and also just show how truly human they are. I think it would have been so compelling to see more into Miss Lucy’s perspective or if there had been more of her desire to reveal the truth to the students.

Overall it wasn’t a page-turner even though I read this in a few hours— I think the most interesting thing for me is that Ishiguro didn’t go into detail at all about the way the “outside world” operates until the conversation with Miss Emily. The reader is stuck in the dark and sheltered from the “outside world” in the same way that the students are. I haven’t ever seen a clone/ sci-fi-ish book written in this way and I love that. Mixed feelings but still good!

renbooks's review against another edition

This book started out so strong, I couldn't put it down at first - I got 50% of the way through in one sitting. Then something weird happens with the pacing and the plot and it becomes devastatingly dull. I had high hopes for this book because I've heard how great it is from Reddit, and the cover of the book proclaims it "the best book of the decade" which is pretty hefty claim to live up to. That being said, I went into the book blind and didn't know much about it other than it was supposed to be amazing. I think the idea for the book is wonderful but the execution is poor and the ending is so lame.
Spoiler I'm supposed to believe these kids who are literally clones to harvest organs from don't ever try to run away? But they believe this myth that if they fall in love they'll be granted a three year safe period? What!? This is stupid.

skepticalmoose's review against another edition

Not at all what I was expecting after Remains of the Day.

charny's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional sad slow-paced