Dreaming of You: A Novel in Verse, by Melissa Lozada-Oliva

cmgonsalves's review

this was very strange! I liked it a l0t! weirdly gave off subtle 'beloved' vibes, as far as someone coming back from the dead and stealing your life. the poetry was gorgeous.

blakely's review

I loved this!!!!

slevatich's review

very outside of my wheelhouse, glad I took the plunge

bibiik's review

adventurous challenging emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced

okayalej's review

What a trip! Melissa Lozada-Oliva did something absolutely wreckless and magical with this one. She envisions a world in which she has resurrected Tejano pop star Selena Quintanilla-Perez. It's dark, it gross, it's beautiful, it's sparkling, it's covered in pepperonis, and it's everything I probably dreamed of as a young kid. So many of Melissa's lines hit me right in the heart. A combination of poetry and prose, this book absolutely resounded deep within my innerchild. Some of the sentiments in the book felt long-winded, but never with out a punching stretch of lines that brought you to a place of thinking. Melissa's mind is incredible and I am ever grateful. This felt like some weird, f*cked up shared experience I had with someone I never met. But so was losing Selena. I didn't realize she was gone when I first sang Como La Flor in my backyard as it blasted from the boombox. My dad joked we could be related because we shared a last name. She had been dead a year then when my dad gave me my first Selena CD. I was informed too late to share in that grief. Yet, I share in it now. Thanks Melissa Lozada-Oliva. All I want to do is eat a pepperoni pizza with Selena.

gknitter's review

dark emotional mysterious reflective fast-paced

whentheresteeth's review

dark emotional funny medium-paced

I loved this book, though I knew I would. Melissa Lozada Oliva's poetry has always held a special place in my heart and this book now does too. I'll be forever grateful to her for teaching me about Selena and about girlhood and about poetry. Highly recommend!

alexxlynette's review

dark emotional funny mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

vdavy001's review

dark emotional reflective medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

Poetry is not my thing but the idea is what made me read the book. I didn’t understand what the author was trying to convey. But it was still well crafted just not my cup of tea

deethebookgoddess's review

challenging dark funny mysterious fast-paced

I just keep picking weird books man.