Horrorstör, by Grady Hendrix

velocitygirl14's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

It was a very clever satire on capitalism of big box retailers and a ghost story in one. Loved how it was so self-aware and entertaining at the same time.

mindofmulder's review

funny mysterious tense fast-paced

melosamatic's review

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

aberdonian67's review

So fun.

mikekaz's review

fast-paced

I really enjoyed this book. It's a haunted house story but rather than being someone's home, the house that is haunted is a furniture store. It's a twist that I'm not sure I've heard before but which totally makes sense. After someone's home, it is next on the list for where we spend the most time. Work does not have the same comfort of your home but knowing that you still have to go back and experience the ghosts or demons or whatever is still pretty scary.

Orsk Furniture is an Ikea rip-off and all the employees know it. The store still gets lots of business. Inside the Cleveland store, weird things are happening at night. The store manager convinces five employees to spend the night to catch whoever is playing tricks before the corporate executives arrive the next day. That night forever changes all of them.

As I mentioned above, I found the book to be solidly entertaining. It's a new setting for an old idea which I found clever. Some of the normal activities performed in a haunted house are carried out here; I'm thinking mainly of the seance and the final reason for the haunting. Anybody in modern times knows that you don't have a seance in a haunted building unless you want someone to die. The characters were all three dimensional and easy to picture. The final quarter of the book did seem a bit off but I can't exactly say why. Maybe it was the ending. Maybe I was expecting something different. Honestly, I can't quite put my finger on why so I'm hesitant to bring it up much more than that. I'm looking forward to reading more by Hendrix.

ihoness's review

this one was so fun!! i didn’t realize I needed a horror story set in (not) ikea but now that I’ve read it I want more like it immediately pls!! super easy and chill if you just want something pretty short that’s a bit spooky and cooky at the same time :)

mallorysch's review

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

lforto20's review

Very quick read, simple characters with predictable development. The uptake in action was very sudden, but I enjoyed it

damefartfart's review

dark tense fast-paced
Wow, this book so accurately captures retail hell: the camaraderie (or annoyance) with your fellow teammates, the mindnumbing drudgery of toil for your corporate overlords, and the mindsets that working retail in corporate America can trap you in. Grady Hendrix writes characters so well. I think that's a big reason why I stuck with this book. I got attached to the characters and I wanted to see if they made it out. (fun fact! The first book I read by him was The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires and I actally thought Grady was a woman at first because the women at the heart of that book were written so well!)
To be honest, I almost gave up on this book because I get frightened sooooo easily, but I'm glad I stuck with it. Yes, the gore was sickening and I had to try reaaaally hard not to visualize what was happening so I could sleep at night, but I enjoyed the unique story and fantastic merging of retail hell/corporate strategies with the otherwordly horrors.

moonbun's review

Amazing and completely terrifying. I don’t usually read a lot of horror novels but I just HAD to read this one! I’m a retail worker myself and I just knew I’d relate to it a little too well hahaha. Creative, smartly written and a beginning that totally hooks you, Horrorstor is probably my favourite read of the year so far!!

It’s like a perfect mix of of sheer terror of not only the things that go bump in the night but also what working in retail can feel like sometimes. The second half of the book literally had me at the edge of my seat and I was seriously stressing out over these characters.

I’m also like, never taking an overnight shift ever again. Definitely read — 10/10 would recommend. If this book had a sequel I would 100% be down!