The Lost Apothecary, by Sarah Penner

nerdygnome's review against another edition

I'm sure if I looked close, I could find a number of reasons to rate this lower, but why look? It was an entertaining read, unusual story line, and compelling enough to keep me turning the pages well into the night. My one beef is that, without giving anything away, I really wish she had kept it at the end.

mir_i_am's review against another edition

At first, I thought this was a simple, “it’s been done before” story, and I was bummed out. However, there’s more here than meets the eye! There are three protagonists and the point of view switches between them. The present day main character, Caroline, was who I had the biggest issue with in the beginning, because I thought I had predicted her story arc. I don’t want to spoil anything, but I definitely wasn’t correct in my predictions, and what actually happens with her makes the story SO much better than I thought it would be. The other two MCs exist in the 1700s, and their stories are compelling right from the beginning. I will say that I can tell this is a debut novel. The writing has moments of brilliance but there’s also a lot of telling rather than showing. I’m also not sure that the “fantasy” tag is accurate for this book; I for one am going to switch this to my “fabulism” shelf. There are some very small hints of magick [sic] but mostly this is a great, plausible read that has more actual science in it than magick. Overall, I found myself feeling victorious and powerful by the end of reading this, and I recommend it!

mmlz's review against another edition

A fascinating historical fiction novel! This was the author’s first novel, and for a debut it was very well done. I feel like some of the characters needed more depth and the pace at which the main character solved the “mystery” was a smidge unbelievable; other than that, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and will definitely read more by this author

sophieeldredge's review against another edition

enjoyed this thoroughly

nadian99's review against another edition

فضای تاریک و جذابی داشت
پلات داستان خیلی سادست و اهسته پیش می‌ره ،بعضی جاها حتی کودکانه می‌شه
خیلی منو یاد اون جلد علوم ترسناک که توش در مورد سموم صحبت می‌کرد انداخت

ohheyitskatie's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

rapunzl129's review against another edition

This was a super easy read, but very enjoyable.

paperbookmarks's review against another edition

DNF @ ~25%. I think I'm going to pick this up physically, as I think I'll enjoy it more reading it in print!

hark's review against another edition

slow-paced

0.5

This book will trick you into thinking it's an exciting look into the lives of brave and adventurous women, when really it's just big sad girl time for three women whose entire lives have been determined by men.

fronkiekong's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced