Death Sets Sail, by Robin Stevens

pearlyplanet's review against another edition

mollyann256's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad medium-paced

hannahs_library_'s review against another edition

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

grabowsk_'s review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

lucyquxnn's review against another edition

weeping

tbbsg11's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

cae's review against another edition

The mystery just wasn't very sound
SpoilerThe fact that it took them so long to consider that planning to frame a sleepwalker for murder is incredibly hard?? Also, what exactly was Heppy's plan when she grabbed May? Anyone could've promised her that they would lie for her, and take that back once May was safe again.
, the investigation not particularly satisfying, and Daisy is slightly insufferable
SpoilerI actually ended up looking forward to her death, and was a bit disappointed at how late it happens, and how obvious it seemed that she'd be back in future installments

I didn't hate anything about it, but that doesn't make it into a sound book. I liked the diversity, modern take on Enid-Blyton-ish books; it just didn't quite do it for me. Maybe if I had read the previous installments, I would sympathize more with the characters and their dynamic; as this happened to be my introduction to the series.

izzy_gs's review against another edition

adventurous emotional lighthearted mysterious sad fast-paced

_mbradleyy's review against another edition

*WARNING: Buy tissues before starting this book!*

I was in NO way ready for this series to end, and yet it ended on the best book yet!

Robin Stevens created such a clever final murder for the girls to solve whilst, as always, making the characters seem so real at the same time.

I am still crying and struggling to form coherent thoughts so for now all I have to say is:
Detective Society Forever

kba76's review against another edition

I can’t believe we’ve arrived at book nine of Daisy and Hazel’s adventures already, and that this is it. Due in August 2020, I feel privileged to have been given the opportunity to read it early...and, boy, is it a treat!
Death Sets Sail really is a homage to Agatha Christie, with the girls taking part on a cruise on the Nile as they are invited on holiday with school friend, Amina. Along with the boys from the Pinkerton Agency, Daisy and Hazel quickly get caught up in the activities surrounding a mysterious group of wealthy individuals who all believe themselves to be reincarnations of Egyptian leaders. When one of their group is murdered, we have a quick confession and everything seems straightforward.
Nothing is ever so simple. The girls - with a little help from Hazel’s amazing little sister who is, most definitely, a voice to watch - are not convinced the sleepwalking murderer story is wholly plausible. With their usual spirited and wholly intuitive approach to detection, Daisy and Hazel are determined to crack the case.
From the outset we’re alerted to a truly shocking fact. This looms large and overshadows every single advance in the investigation. As we moved towards this moment I felt genuine horror that we might actually have to face this, and there would be no last-minute reprieve or a twist we weren’t expecting. When it finally arrived I was a little surprised that we had waited so long and wondered why Stevens had organised things as she did.
Not wanting to spoil anything for anyone reading this I apologise for sounding so cryptic.
So, it really is over. I’ve loved this series and watching the girls develop as characters as they learn about their world. Each book has its charm, but I think this really does go down as my favourite because of the possibilities it leaves open for me to create my own ideas about the future for those involved.