Reviews for Loveboat, Taipei, by Abigail Hing Wen

sielantgem's review

emotional informative inspiring medium-paced

I really enjoyed this one.  It explored a lot of themes of how East Asian Americans are faced with microagressions within American and in their native country.  It also had an inspiring premise of one following their dreams despite their perceived family obligations.  All Ever wants to do is dance but her parents who sacrificed so much to get to America has her whole future planned out for her.  A career in Medicine is what they think is best for her.  I like how this is set at that transitional age of 18, when you're on the cusp of becoming an adult in route to college.   I couldn't quite give it a five star because one of the characters did something that I though was totally egregious but did not suffer the consequences of their action.  All in all it was a good experience reading this novel. Look forward to the next installment.

halleeberri's review

lighthearted medium-paced

sunnielena's review against another edition

I LOVED THIS.

Maybe we can be a lot of different things.

I had a really easy time getting into this, breezed through the first chunk... I got a bit lost in the middle but by the end my heart was so in it and I couldn't stop turning the pages.

This explores so many important topics of representation, race, parental expectation, finding yourself, forging your own path, becoming your own person. It perfectly reflects how these things all intersect and impact each other. It's about finding yourself in so many ways, and defending the person you always knew you wanted to be.

I feel all the parts of myself coming together: glad that a part of me is Chinese, a part of me is American, and all of me is simply me.

I recommend this to absolutely everyone. I will also say though that in some parts this gets a bit more sexual than most YA so definitely for the older age group within that range.

I received a copy of this through NetGalley for review.

lanasbooks's review against another edition

My first read of 2020 was an unexpected one! ‘Loveboat, Taipei’ was full of cultural experiences and a story of finding oneself. I loved the character building because of how realistic and messy each character was. It was a good kind of messy, a messy I think many of us can connect with because everyone struggles to figure out who they are and who they want to be.
••••••
This book also crossed the letter “L” off of my A-Z reading challenge I’m doing this year.

teremuniz's review against another edition

This story is an exploration of culture, identity, and expression of love.

I had a feeling I would love this story that explores love and independence in the summer in a summer camp-type setting in Taipei, Taiwan. But this story is so much more than summer with no adult supervision and a heart-wrenching romance. The story explores the complicated topics of Ever's experience being Chinese-American and the struggles she faces with self-identity and family expectations. I love that Ever was free to make mistakes based on what she believed she wanted and how she came to discover what she truly wanted. The story is so fast-paced and drama-filled and is the perfect summer read (even if Ever didn't end up with who I wanted).

I am excited to see what comes next!!

Things I loved: the atmosphere, Xavier, themes of forgiveness, Ever's character development.

moonlightreading1865's review against another edition

1.75 stars

I was interested by the premise of Loveboat, Taipei, and although the idea had promise, the execution fell flat. The side characters just felt one-dimensional and not fully fleshed-out (they were there to further Ever's storyline, but had no substance of their own), and I didn't really relate to Ever (and this is coming from a Chinese-American teenager living in the US, though I don't live in Ohio, so that could partly be the reason), nor did I like her. I found many of her actions frustrating and unnecessary. I liked how she stood up for herself after she was betrayed, but wish she didn't forgive Sophie so quickly because what she did was not okay. The plot was overly dramatic and focused on petty issues, instead of Ever's identity as a child of immigrant parents. I felt that Xavier could have been developed so much more and become an amazing character. Overall, this book just felt underdeveloped and breezed by the plot without providing time to feel the emotions that should have been there.
There were also some small inaccuracies with language and customs which didn't bother me too much, but were definitely noticeable.

chajonas's review

You know, for once I don't love the first supposed to be THE love interest. Boy Wonder is kinda too perfect for my broken heart, he's a jock with a good moral compass, who stands by his depressed girlfriend, even tho it ended him in a very bad place in his family side and he shouldn't do that in the first place because it's not the boyfriend's job. He's super smart, book smart, street smart, and apparently has a perfect body too. But the bad boy charisma stole my heart from the beginning. Xavier is my baby, and always be my baby till the end. I knew he wouldn't get the girl, but he deserves to be happy with his paintings. And if Abigail gonna make a sequel, please make one for my baby Xavier. I want to know what happened to him with his art gig and how he tell his father about the mural that he bought.

And for Ever, I love her for finally standing up to her parents and go with what she wants without breaking her family apart. It's like one of the things that broke me inside, about the pressure the family put people trough and make them run or got banned from the house. Family breaking up is so sad. That's why when she decided to tell her parents about dancing and her mom didn't suddenly disown her, it relieves me. Her mom only needs time and hope they will can get through this as a family forever.

dollhousebooks's review against another edition

I loved it and didn't love it at the same time.

The premise was so fun and the shenanigans were equally as entertaining but that's all that it was. While it did touch on some sensitive and important subjects (ie. parental expectations in China vs US, learning disorders, consent, depression), but again, that's all it did. Just dabbled with the topics but never fleshed it out. It was also incredibly predictable. I knew who Ever was going to end up with, I knew she was going to pursue her own path, and I knew Sophie's true self from the get go.

Nonetheless, I tore through the book because if it's fun, predictable nature. I loved the glamour and I enjoyed all the characters. I really appreciated that the characters were 18 and acted like 18 year olds, not like some YA/NA novels where they act mature beyond their years nor overly immature. They felt very real and I appreciated that immensely. Overall, 3.5/5 stars.

mc7196's review

omg such a beautiful book 😍😍 idk maybe it's the asian-ness in me but this really hit different I spent the whole last part of the book crying 😫😫😫

hihi76722's review against another edition

(audiobook) I read this on audiobook, which was my first time listening to audiobooks. There was lots of drama. I couldn't really tell the difference between the characters, especially Rick and Xavier. This book reminded me of Crazy Rich Asians. Sometimes it was boring. My favorite character was Xavier. His relationships with others and his love for painting. Maybe I would have enjoyed this much better reading it physically.

2.75 stars rounded up to 3 stars