ananyagupta12072006's review

informative reflective slow-paced

I came across this book through one of my favorite YouTubers, Orion Carloto. This book is not my usual cup of tea but, I liked it. It is informative and thought-provoking. There are some aspects of the theory that I didn't like, for instance, the overemphasis on the mother's sensitivity towards their children. This quote from an article by Psychotherapy Networker explains it in a better manner:
"A serious limitation of attachment theory is its failure to recognize the profound influences of social class, gender, ethnicity, and culture on personality development. These factors, independent of a mother's sensitivity, can be as significant as the quality of the early attachment."
One thing to point out is that this book did fail to represent queer relationships. It also didn't dig deeper into the disorganized attachment style. The book was kind of targeted towards people with anxious and secure attachment styles. People with avoidant attachment styles were generalized a lot. Their needs weren't validated. This book also doesn't cover up non-monogamy. It is all about finding "the one".

But overall speaking, it is a good book. The book covers some eye-opening facts. It made me realize a lot of things about myself while identifying certain patterns in others' behaviors.

erynmarieliz's review

emotional informative reflective medium-paced

‘Attached’ is one of those books I would recommend to just about anyone. This book is super informative about how to develop meaningful relationships and also gives great definitions of the different attachment styles found among adults. As far as self help books go, I think this is one of the truly actually helpful ones that many people would benefit from picking up.

becksusername's review

informative medium-paced

This book was very enlightening to me, though I felt there was a lot of redundant/over-explained information

jojosmojo's review

informative reflective slow-paced

baileymoroney's review

informative medium-paced

picked up this book because attachment styles were a hot topic of 2021. i thought it would be interesting to learn more about how adults form attachments and i thought i could learn more about myself and my own behaviors. i personally found the book to be informative, but for those who are identify as avoidant attached i see how this book can make them feel slighted or judged. however, i did really appreciate that the authors stressed the importance of connection with others. wanting connection or fighting for it shouldn’t be frowned upon, it’s not a weakness,  it’s in our nature as humans

alexandra_w's review against another edition

informative

viri's review against another edition

informative

it was a very interesting book that i think could help a lot of ppl. i think i’ll buy it so that i can annotate it for the things that concern me…

brd2130's review