Wayward Witch, by Zoraida Córdova

rbielbs's review against another edition

I received an arc from the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

I love this series and especially looking forward to Rose’s adventure. This book did not disappoint! I will admit to being a bit annoyed by Rose’s constant “I can’t do it” attitude but the setting and other characters made up for it. And now, please give me a book about Nova.

catarina_reads's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced

nlaw95's review against another edition

fast-paced

jessjimenez's review

adventurous mysterious sad medium-paced

spinesinaline's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful medium-paced

Still working out my feelings on this one but I did love getting to revisit this family. Thanks to Raincoast Books for an ARC!

The third of Córdova’s family-centric Brooklyn Brujas series, this one wraps up the story with the youngest, and perhaps most powerful, Mortiz sister. I was very excited for this one after reading the second, which gave hints as to Rose’s power and the possibilities for a book focused entirely on her. I haven’t read the first in the series but each book is largely self-contained as it follows one sister, though there’s of course some tie-over to previous events.

While I enjoyed this one, I much preferred the second book and I don’t know if some of my enjoyment was tampered by it being an advanced copy. There were a lot of missing words, which I’m sure would’ve been fixed up in the final version, but also continuity issues that made it difficult to follow the story. Some scenes felt like they jumped very quickly, some characters were in two places at once – it all left me feeling confused while I was also trying to follow the MC as she worked to uncover the actual mystery of the story.

It’s still a fun read but I felt much more drawn into the story with the second book, though I was glad to see Rose experience her powers.

templetongate's review against another edition

It's obviously the end of the trilogy, but I'd welcome more stories about the Mortiz family.

v228reyes's review

• Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

enaalc's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

I loved this last book so much.
Rose feels lost, as from the returning of her dad her family is trying to do it well, more even taking into account that her dad is amnesic.
But Rose discovers that her dad's amnesia is a lie and she and her dad are transported to the world of Adas, a kindom where Rose will discover what happened to her father... and she will also have to help that kingdom.

vewillia's review against another edition

I'm sure I said the same thing about the other books of this series, but these books have just been a fun and easy ya fantasy read.
You get a ton of representation, and while there's a sub plot of romance, its very very.. sub I guess. It doesn't interfere with the main conflict, which is not something you can say for a lot of ya fantasy.
I had fun reading these, and I'm a bit disappointed this is the last one. Fingers crossed for a similar fun piece of escapism featuring Nova or even Lin in the future.

cealion's review against another edition

I love this family :'(

took me forever to finish because uni and covid slapped me in the face but I loved it!!!

also I need more books immediately