The Darkness Outside Us by Eliot Schrefer

anduman's review

adventurous hopeful mysterious fast-paced

hannahhhbb's review against another edition

hopeful medium-paced

sovngarde's review

Finishing this book made me feel how I did once I finished watching Interstellar - bereft, insignificant and tired. Christ this was a journey.

I picked this up and read it not really reading the synopsis just knowing it was MLM sci-fi and tbh you should go into it as blind as possible. Had no expectations but it exceeded all of them. I was marginally disappointed by the somewhat insta love before I realized *why* that it was that way and now I’m ok with it.

Thoroughly enjoyed this and I’m not a person that generally enjoys sci fi. Has a nice thriller-esque vibe to it at moments with high tension. This is already gonna be one of this years faves.

Gone through a few reviews and glad to see so many folks feel this was not marketed properly because it wasn’t. It’s so much more than a romance and honestly that isn’t even the focal point of this story. I’m sad this hasn’t garnered more attention.

lavenderbookrecs's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

rizeaoana's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional hopeful sad tense medium-paced

thelittlebook_bee's review

I picked this little YA scifi book up off the shelf because that cover is GORGEOUS and also I thought it would be a nice little love story about gays in space.

Well. They are gay. And they are in space. But what I got instead of a love story (which is present but very much not the central plot) was a DEVASTATING exploration of humanity and it's capacity for creation and destruction. I'm still unwell. I ordered a hardcover about halfway through because I knew this was one I needed to own.

evafantasy's review

⭐⭐⭐⭐✨

At first I was wondering where this was going and then the dread settled in and I loved every second of it ❤️ the writing style is quite peculiar but ended up being perfectly fitting in the end!

chris624wx's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

jenna310's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense

This story was different from what I was expecting. It was very intense with some darker themes.

raisin's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced