Sharks in the Time of Saviors by Kawai Strong Washburn

maribartoo's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

boseags's review

emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

clairevn's review

emotional sad tense slow-paced

elenamaria's review

challenging emotional mysterious medium-paced

kahananui24's review against another edition

adventurous emotional inspiring reflective slow-paced

farfromginger's review

emotional sad

I find myself conflicted with this. While I struggle with magical realism and similar styles this was really stand out. No one was “good” or “bad” just real. Very relatable but also lots of newness. I know I will be thinking about this for a long time.

nofinersteiner's review

Profound in moments, tepid in others. I found this book to be a toughie. The average sentence was good. Strong Washburn knows how to write in an immersive way. His scenes of enlightenment/connection in Hawaii were stunning. But when the book got involved in the muck of every day life, it lost me. It needed to go higher and never did. Compounded with a dragging plot, the book felt too gigantic and slow-moving.

Excited to see what Strong Washburn writes in the future.

Quotes I Liked:
"We listened to our blood thump in our ears and it told us alive alive alive.:

"'We miss all of you,' she said.

And I said I did, too -- and I did. But feeling it then, the missing was different than I expected. Less desperate, I guess. And getting smaller all the time." (103).

"The sudden arrival of the recognition of significant time having passed, of having grown older, how many days I didn't know, but each one like this" (164).

"If a God is a thing that has absolute power over us, then in this world there are many. There are gods that we choose and gods that we can't avoid; there are gods that we pray to and gods that prey on us; there are dreams that become gods and pasts that become gods and nightmares that do, as well. As I age I learn that there are more gods than I'll ever know, and yet I have to watch for all of them, or else they can use me or I can lose them without even realizing it" (180).

"It was a dream he and I had, a vacation we went to the same way people come to these islands, something they store away for their cold and bitter city winters, the blue-and-gold-and-soothing beauty of something possible in the near future: us on the lanai of our own home, high in the hills, looking down at the island's green ridges, the ocean after" (221).

"The house is full of people we don't know but plenty of people we do. At least their faces. But even if the faces are ones we know the people underneath are -- I don't know -- there's a sameness to so many of the people at these parties, desperate to get the right stance, the right clothes, the right picture. This idea of a perfect night they have can never live up to, so they do it again, right? Over and over" (241).

Everything on page 247

"The house is mostly shadow. But okay, I love that about where we live. No light pollution choking out the spokes and spills of stars, the natural black balm of late night" (343).

Page 348

jazzy_mw's review against another edition

adventurous challenging inspiring lighthearted reflective sad medium-paced

idk, a bit underwhelming

remy_detached's review

adventurous emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

nicolepiacentini's review