Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo

silvia_gio's review

... and then we have come to the end. 4 stars for the third and final chapter of Shadow and Bone trilogy.
In this one Alina becomes had a fantastic amount of development in the previous books, expecially in Diege and Storm, when she discovered her powers and started to crave for more. The theme of greed is well developed: Alina's desire for more power could be Ravka's salvation and condemnation at the same time. It could precipitate our protagonist towards a dark and deep well far worse than the one in which her antagonist has already fallen. As in the best chapters of Star Wars, here too we have a protagonist inevitably attracted to the dark side (bright, actually) of the Force and throughout the book, up to the last, frenetic final passages, the author will leave us with the doubt: Alina will resist the call of power, or will she fall victim of it like the Darkling, before her?
alongside the central theme of the desire for power / desire to resist Alina's lust for power, in the third book we see some interesting (and others less so) developments.
The villain's backstory. Normally, when authors give a backstory to a villain, it can go one of two way: sympathy or continued hatred. Uuuhh...What can I say? a great wasted opportunity. I still don't understood completely the Darkling, his past and his motives. I understand Baghra's past, motives and actions, but not the Darkling's. Sorry, my fault.
The love triangle. In Siege and Storm, Nikolai came into his own (even if honestly I found Nikolai’s humor and bravado irritating sometimes). I seriously had no idea which way the romance was going to go. I’ve always shipped Alina with Mal, that’s, like, how it’s supposed to be. The Darkling and Alina would have made a power couple, but in the end, it would have been a choice either too obvious or too meaningless.
I didn't enjoyed very much the team-dynamic. Everything barely moved along, interlaced with a few dramatic scenes, before reaching a very rushed ending.
With Ruin and Rising, Bardugo managed to wrap up her gripping trilogy in an unexpected way. There’s no doubt that this was a bittersweet ending. In many ways, I don’t think Bardugo could have created a better ending, as this is the one that everyone – both fans and characters – deserved.
I’ve read some reviews that slate the fact that Alina lost her immense powers in the final battle, and while I could be inclined to agree, I think it’s quite symbolic for her journey. Alina’s entire story seems to go full circle, starting and ending on the Fold, and I sort of like how she and Mal returned to the orphanage where they met, both changed by their experiences, but still the same Boy and Girl as before.
Summing up this third chapter I was very satisfied and undoubtedly deserves its 4 stars. Recommended! ;)

daumari's review against another edition

Queer rep if you squint, but tagging it anyway... 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4. I liked this more than the previous two entries, perhaps because it felt like there were more dire geopolitical stakes at hand than oooh magic school/oh no which boy am I most attracted to (though the latter is very much still present). It's funny- in my review of [b:Siege and Storm|14061955|Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2)|Leigh Bardugo|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1362166252l/14061955._SX50_.jpg|19699752] I mentioned that the ending felt abrupt, and that the cave chapters from the beginning of this one maybe should've been in here, only to find in the acknowledgements that Leigh Bardugo originally had a ton of other mid-book actions from this one take place at the end of S&S which would've been Too Much.

I do like the twist about the nature of the third amplifier, as well as
Spoilernot having a teenager figuring out how to rule the world in the aftermath because at least Nikolai's had training/leadership experience.
. Not super thrilled with ultimate boy choice but can't say it wasn't broadcasted...

But mostly, I'm excited for what I'm told is HEIST TIME in [b:Six of Crows|23437156|Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)|Leigh Bardugo|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1651710803l/23437156._SY75_.jpg|42077459], so then I can finally start the Netflix series (I generally prefer to read the source before adaptation, and I've heard that they pull Ketterdam elements into the show).

zoeaiko's review

adventurous emotional fast-paced

synthiasl's review against another edition

what the fuck. im balling my eyes out? i cant even. those last few chapters...

she lost her powers? and they faked her death? and she isnt with her friends anymore? and so many of her friends died? HARSHAW died? poor oncat. also rip baghra. what the hell was this book. i have never felt greater pain. why did everyone just die.

madelinegl's review against another edition

While there were definitely things that could have been done better throughout the trilogy, ultimately I fell in love with the characters and Bardugo’s world building.

mikitius_arkensaw's review against another edition

Honestly, this is the best book of the trilogy. Alina shows character growth, and there is something just in the atmosphere making this more exciting to read. Not perfect, however, and not even near being as good as Six Of Crows.

Getting bittersweet endings for some of the characters was refreshing. The Darkling felt like a real threat in this one, unlike in the previous book. I was honestly kinda surprised how entertaining this book was even though most of it was traveling from place a to place b. I laughed with the characters.

However, the chemistry between Alina and Mal didn't feel as natural as I hoped it would. Nikolai was his charming self, and he has claimed his place as one of my favorite characters.

This was a good book.

wuchtorff's review against another edition

Boring, and not interested in the political aspects of the story.

karassa's review

adventurous emotional medium-paced

emilykiefer's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

marion's review against another edition

i really loved this last book compared to the two others. i did find myself enjoying picking it up and wanting to know what's going to happen!!! really think it is the best out the the three books<3