Ruin and Rising, by Leigh Bardugo

ugresss's review against another edition

kind of bad, but i was emotionally invested. hm

pamgrace18's review against another edition

This book was really inconsistent for me. I really enjoyed the beginning, but the ending was confusing and a bit of a let down. I did not enjoy the fact that she gives up her powers at the end because it feels like she was doing it for Mal (whom I still am pretty ambivalent about).

Also the book seemed to shift in tone from super funny (Harshaw and Oncat) to incredibly dark (killing everyone in Keramzin) over the course of like 2 pages, which again made it feel inconsistent.

kmtrinque's review against another edition

This is the ending this series needed.

madisongosnell's review against another edition

This one did it to me. This one made me cry. It was so good.

robertsxemma's review against another edition

4.5 stars; did i just sit on my couch for five hours straight reading this book? yes i did. do i regret it? not at all.

narkissah's review against another edition

4,5 Com certeza o melhor livro da triologia, quase não passei raiva. Quase. Mas diferente dos outros dois, esse realmente me deixou emocional. Parabéns, não fez mais que a obrigação, Bardugo.

bookwirmmadi's review

What. The heck. Did I just read? I think my eyes are raw from crying and my heart’s about to burst. Bardugo has more than made up for whatever the heck ‘Siege and Storm’ was because ‘Ruin and Rising’ is AMAZING! Everything got tied up so nicely and all my unanswered questions got the best answers. I’m a little bit in love with this ending—and the entire series, really—but the whole book was gorgeous.

It’s not news that I would die for Alina Starkov, but it’s been so long since I read the last book that I got to fall in love with her all over again. She’s one of the most gorgeously compelling heroines, fearing her own darkness but bending it to her will for the good of everyone else. I loved seeing her conduct herself diplomatically and stepping into her power moreso than in the previous books. Bardugo knows how to write a climactic conclusion, of that there is no doubt, yet the main conflict happened within Alina instead of in some outward expression of strength. I found it endlessly interesting to see the two sides of Alina and the way they warred with each other; the orphan girl versus the Saint.

Personally, I believe ‘Ruin and Rising’ to be the best in the trilogy. It’s magical and fantastical, heartbreaking and lovely. I can only hope the show manages to do these characters the justice they deserve, and I’m super excited for the first season! Fantasy lovers, get on the Grishaverse wagon if you dare.

Madi

catherine_christensen's review

Okay, maybe unpopular opinion based on other reviews, but I loved the conclusion to this series. Leigh Bardugo is one of my current favorite YA-fantasy authors, judging by Six of Crows and now this series, and I can’t wait to pick up the King of Scars series next—especially because Nikolai was 100% the best character. The second book was definitely the weakest, but the third book redeemed the series. I loved how well it tied everything together, and it had some cool twists and turns I wasn’t expecting. It’s always fun when you don’t know how it will end. It was actually kind of fun having read Six of Crows first because it references this story, but in a tricksy way that doesn’t give everything away—and even leads you astray a little.

Is the series as good as Six of Crows? No, but I did love this particular book and how it wrapped everything up. It was fun, exciting, unexpected. The world-building was also great. And when I binge read late into the night, that’s worthy of many stars.

And now I can go watch the Netflix series which I’ve been dying to watch, but I made myself read the book first because I’m one of THOSE people. Hooray!

kaylaimms's review

I don't think any book I have ever read has had a more perfect ending.

newbett's review

"Don't let me be alone." Darkling

Darkling deserved better ( I finished this series just for HIM...