Knife Edge, by Malorie Blackman

ohbookisme's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

rose_olivia's review against another edition

I really loved this book when I was a teenager but as an adult not so much... it was still very readable though.

monicakessler's review against another edition

Well, the first half of this was a slog. The reason for this was that the first half of the book was much less plot-driven and much more introspective than the first book. We're just stuck going round Sephy and Jude's heads for so long and to be honest, those places are not the nicest places to be. They're both in bad places and making stupid decisions, and neither are my favourite character. For Sephy, it's forgivable that she's being Dumb of Ass since she's clearly suffering from post partum depression or just plain old depression anyway, but in Jude's case it's really physically painful to see him offered so many opportunities for redemption which he gets so close to and then ultimately rejects. Though at least I could see his decision making process and aftermaths so he is a well-written character in that regard.

It picks up in the second half after the “inciting event” which is really awful, so still nothing to look forward to in this book really! Overall I think it suffers from “2nd book syndrome”. The strongest parts of this story are still the “worldbuilding” elements; linked to that, my favourite bits to read were the “newspaper clippings” at the start of each section. Those were very well done, and insightful.

AFAIK, Checkmate is better so I'm still looking forward to that.

Oh, and the ending... for anyone who was reading these books as they came out, I cannot imagine a more dramatic and nerve-wrecking cliffhanger...

3.5*

gracemcg's review against another edition

challenging dark sad

peppermintsoda's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

sparklesnowwhite's review against another edition

Reread

itsclumsybecky's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad medium-paced

marianguish's review against another edition

dark emotional medium-paced

caitlin_123a's review against another edition

I love this book just as much as the first. Unputdownable. I'm completely and utterly in love with this series.

amanda07w's review against another edition

Surprisingly liked despite feeling like no major plot happened till the final few chapters - does this mean I liked a book for only character attachment and not the plot for the first time??