The True Queen, by Zen Cho

phoenixfaie's review against another edition

Unfortunately at the moment I am having to mark this as a DNF, the writing is interesting and the world building is strong, but it's just not gripping my attention right now.
I think I definitely need to read the first book before trying this one again.
Hopefully in the future I will pick this up again and love it.

cupiscent's review against another edition

A charming, delightful romp of a book. Though it starts with a tight focus on one storyline, as the book goes on it starts scattering its POVs all over the place with wild abandon. I almost wanted to be entirely redone as a wider and more nuanced piece throughout, but honestly, it's such fun just as it is, who cares?

jelliclecax's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious medium-paced

A lovely addition to this series but a bit predictable. I guessed some outcomes long before they were revealed.

ariel_reads's review against another edition

This was so good and I loved it even more than the first in a lot of ways! Both books were so charming and funny and delightful all around, and this book just continued the story in the most enjoyable way

paladinboy's review against another edition

Slow start, but only because I had read the first book more than a year ago. I recommend a reread before the second book for the 5 star treatment.

Great story, excellent social commentary and excellent romantic elements. ( m/m , f/f and human/fairy)

detailsandtales's review against another edition

For some reason, this book, while a pleasant enough read, just didn't capture my interest. It may just be that I'm not the audience for this story.

deservingporcupine's review against another edition

Another lovely little magic adventure in the Sorcerer to the Crown universe. I loved this one’s take on Fairy and it’s snarky sense of humor. It was like all the good parts of Jane Austen with magic and dragons. It was especially strong in the way it approached Eastern magic. Also, the romance!

write_read_rose's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious slow-paced

extemporalli's review against another edition

My last read of 2020, and a thoroughly enjoyable one at that. 'Ordinary, long-suffering' Muna reminds me of many people I have known and enjoyed - both gentle and accommodating of the kind of adventure that their more chaotic counterparts tend to wreak. My favourite Muna moment was when she enters the hallway of magical portraits of old white men who start hurling sexist and racist abuse at them and she's taken aback because... it's honestly very embarrassing in her culture to lose control like that. Which I guess really summarises what I think Zen Cho was trying to do w/ whiteness and empire in this novel: describe the centre from the point of view of someone decidedly not of the centre, *becomes* marginalised through travel to the centre but wasn't brought up in that marginalisation, and so is able to shrug and turn away from these non-hometown foibles. Which is a pretty neat contrast to what she did in The Sorcerer Royal!

Anyway, this was only one aspect of the novel, but it's one that struck me as especially impressive. Overall a fun, light-hearted novel, and one that has unexpected resonances for me because of Zen Cho's extratextual description of her 'ordinary, longsuffering heroine, with no memories or magic'.

barbarajean's review against another edition

adventurous lighthearted medium-paced