Midnight Rooms by Donyae Coles

geekyearthmama's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

bookish_aly_cat's review

This was a strange and delightful read that kept me turning page after page. This atmospheric, gothic tale was both beautiful and bizarre and I enjoyed every minute I spent reading it.

Thank you to the publisher for sending me a copy for review.

jerichamacie's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Orabella has resigned herself to a life of less, until Elias Blakersby shows up. In something reminiscent of a fairy tale she lets herself be whisked away with the promise of comfort, fortune and something more.

The decaying visage of Korringhill manor and rot within pushes Orabella through the threshold of unreality and into a dream darker than any she's known before. In a vibrant landscape of honey and teeth Orabella spins suspended by her own uncertainty and unruly desire.

An enchanting and unsettling mystery, about becoming or being overcome by the beasts all around.

kerryamchugh's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

yellowmoonreads's review against another edition

Rating: 2.5/5⭐
🦌
I ended up dropping my rating (from a 3/5) because... Huh? I am so lost. What even happened? The atmosphere was gothic and creepy and I can see the similarity to Crimson Peak (iykyk) but it was not enough to save this book.
🦌
The MC is extremely unlikable but not in the "she's different" kinda way but more in the infuriating WTH are you doing kinda way.
🦌
It feels like a lot was said but nothing even happened. The plot was slow and went nowhere. Nothing fit together or made any sense. Everything felt very disjointed and confusing but not in a good way. I understand and can absolutely enjoy the fever dream aspect when it's done well but it still should click at some point, right? I don't even know what the point was.
🦌
I am very disappointed because I can see and feel the potential but have never been let down harder in my life. I have more questions than answers after finishing this book. Am I just dumb and didn't get it? Help, because I really really want to get it.
🦌
Thank you to NetGalley, the publisher and the author for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.
🦌
***Trigger warnings include but may not be limited to abuse, incest and cult/ritualistic behavior.***

zoe_o_'s review

dark tense medium-paced

nadih's review

professor_kei's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

This story was incredibly interesting but also really confusing. Dark fantasy with a bit of suspense and mystery. Lots of unexpected twists and turns. Every time I thought I had figured out what was going on, something else would turn up to confuse me. Great characters and descriptive imagery.

booktribe's review against another edition

mysterious slow-paced

This was one of my top two most anticipated books of 2024 and I have mixed feelings…

Gothic horror is my favorite sub-genre, so I will always be excited for a gothic book! And this book definitely gave the gothic vibes! It was very atmospheric and reminded me of Crimson Peak in some ways. It was slow paced and eery. And while reading I really loved the mystery and intrigue. I couldn’t wait to find out what was going on with this family that our main character had married into!

However, I have now finished the book and I still have no idea what was going on. I was left with countless questions after finishing. There were so many mysteries that were a part of this story, but what was the point when none of the mysteries were solved?? I really thought I was going to love this book & the revelation of what was going on in the story, but the story ended with nothing but confusion… It was also lacking a little in scene description, I couldn’t always picture what was happening.

The whole book felt like one big fever dream, which was super intriguing at first, but since I never got any clarity to the story, I just couldn’t love this like I wanted to. I enjoyed the ride, but the conclusion wasn’t worth it. I do think the story could make a better movie though, if the story is fleshed out more. I’m giving it 3 stars based on the potential of what it could’ve been.

Thank you Amistad and NetGalley for this arc. All opinions are my own.

mel_c_bell's review

dark medium-paced

I think this book is the epitome of a fever dream. I was so confused yet entirely captivated page after page.

Orabella is a biracial woman who finds herself the ward of her white aunt and uncle as a child. One day, a mysterious man shows up at her uncle's house and makes an offer nobody can refuse: a marriage of convenience. What starts out as an innocent arrangement quickly spirals into a disorienting mashup of Beauty and the Beast meets Jane Eyre meets Crimson Peak, and it's all set in the Spring Court of ACOTAR.

And you're probably thinking, "That's a good thing?" Yes! I kept turning the page because no matter how cringed and freaked I was, I needed to know what happened next