Malice, by Keigo Higashino

iphigenie72's review against another edition

challenging mysterious fast-paced

fhy's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

stormcloud7's review

Convoluted is all I can come up with. What a storyline. The writing style is unique as the story is told from the perspective of two individuals. What makes it so different is that you only hear the conversation from the one individual, as if you're in their mind. You don't hear the response from the other side of the conversation as would normally be the case. In the next chapter you might hear the conversation as if in the mind of the other participant but again only one sided. Did I mention the story itself was extremely convoluted. I really wanted to like it more than I did, but I couldn't get past the tortured path the storyline took to get to its conclusion.

Updated: I removed one star. It's been four months and the more I reflect on this book, the less I like it.

ajediprincess's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced
  • Loveable characters? N/A

Holy smokes, what a book! I love murder mysteries. This is my first time reading a Japanese murder mystery and I must say, I think I'm hooked. Malice by Keigo Higashino was unlike anything I've ever read. The entire story had me guessing and questioning the truth from start to finish. I was amazed at the journey on which this story took me. I don't want to spoil anything, but the book was masterfully crafted, so brilliant in every single detail. I will definitely be adding this one to my personal library.

This is the story of how an author is murdered. The killer is caught and arrested fairly early on into the story, which immediately threw me for a loop. But while the "who dunnit" is quickly solved, it's the motive that remains unclear. The truth of everything is something I'm still reeling from. On a more personal note, I loved the way the author wove in details pertaining to writing as a craft. I was amazed, while reading this book, how precisely accurate the descriptions and depictions of writers who love their craft were, and how much I agreed and could relate to the passion described with regard to telling stories and crafting a narrative. There was something almost transcendent about the way Higashino shared some of the most intimate aspects of writing and storytelling within the context of this story which was obviously so lovingly crafted.

I will remember this book for many years to come, and heartily recommend it with the likes of Sayers and Christie. This book was an intricately crafted, complex and oddly satisfying puzzle, filled with twists and surprises along the way. I can't wait to check out Higashino's other work. This book set my hopes high.

anka_not_anchor's review against another edition

mysterious tense fast-paced

A solid mystery that had me absolutely gripped and lead me to finishing it in a day!

elizafiedler's review

Love a mystery that breaks with the formula. Who did the murder is not the mystery, but everything else is. <3

serendipity421's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

mothgoth's review

This was one of the best murder mysteries I've read. I was surprised by how quickly some things were revealed with a lot of the novel left, but there ended up being quite a lot of twists and unexpected conclusions coming out as the story progressed. I appreciated the unreliable narrator aspect which might now have me questioning first person perspectives more often, particularly in crime novels. Soooo good.

husnaibrahim_'s review

This is the second book I’ve read from this author and I’m starting to think he has a thing for making you emotionally attached to the murderer/suspect till the very last moment. This was such an engaging read with so many twists and turns. I think this one is very similar yet slightly different to the other book of his that I read.

It’s the way i felt connected to both the suspect and the investigator right from start but I somehow go on to lean more towards the suspect. What makes this particular book different is the fact that we saw more of the detective than the suspect yet I didn’t feel very much connected to the detective in a way. I was hooked right from the start and I’ll definitely be reading more books from this author!

sk_dhibar's review