Yksi ruumis liikaa, by Ellis Peters

fdallachy's review against another edition

reflective slow-paced

I'm afraid I never fully engaged with this book. I was expecting it to be a mystery/detective story and, although that is the case a little, it's a very small part of the book. More than mystery, the story concerns Cadfael sheltering two young people who are in danger, trying to help them escape from the forces that would do them harm. There's nothing wrong with this story, but I didn't find it particularly interesting and so I skim read quite a lot of the book looking for a detective plot which never really materialised! I might have given it a higher rating if I knew what roughly to expect going in.

devafagan's review against another edition

The whole series is wonderful, but I love this book particularly because it introduces Hugh Beringar, the crafty, ambitious but principled young fellow who is both Cadfael's ally and opponent in this book.

omnibozo22's review against another edition

Lots of fun in this second in the Cadfael series. Classic (sic) detection and deduction methods, worthy of Holmes. On the next in the series.

puella63's review against another edition

A fine tale. The guilty one was easy to find because there were no other candidates.
Still, several likeable characters and a nice development of the series.

elainew's review against another edition

lighthearted mysterious relaxing slow-paced

kiwi_fruit's review against another edition

I wasn’t impressed by the first book of the successful series by Ellis Peters, but in this second book, brother Cadfael grew on me. This time I listened to the audio version narrated by Stephen Thorne, who I credit from my better experience. The ending was too sweet for my taste but I’ll certainly look for the next (audio)book.

infjill's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious fast-paced

nichola's review against another edition

This ticks a lot of boxes.

I liked this historical context. I liked the characters. I liked the several romances.

I liked the plot. And how we weren't really surprised by anything. This was pleasant. Not outstanding but enjoyable overall.

myliterarylove's review against another edition

Brother Cadfael is my favorite crime-solving monk.
3.5 Stars

eevalouisa's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful reflective fast-paced