Reviews for The Forgotten Kingdom, by Signe Pike

justagirlwithabook's review against another edition

adventurous challenging informative mysterious tense fast-paced

A very much enjoyed sequel to The Lost Queen!

The Forgotten Kingdom picks up where The Lost Queen left off in AD 573. The events of the precious book have led the characters to the brink of battle, and the sequel starts off with the immediate aftermath (while piecing together the events of the battle itself). The Forgotten Kingdom is very much a continuation of the story of Languoreth, her brother Lailoken, and the people they love.

I’ve learned so much about Scottish history, lore, and religion from this book. It’s been incredibly fascinating and I especially appreciate Signe Pike taking the time at the very end in her author’s note to include fairly detailed notes on language, historical accuracy, religion, and other aspects that went into making the novel. I didn’t expect to be so fully immersed in pre-Christian Scottish history but here we are!

My only complaint was that it took a tad bit of time to get rolling (much as the first) — about 25% in I felt like I’d found my groove and was fully invested but it did take that 100 pages of reading time to get there. Otherwise, another great novel and I’m very much looking forward to the conclusion of this trilogy!

catherineclark's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

cyndilouwho5's review

adventurous tense medium-paced

amnda527's review

adventurous emotional hopeful informative tense slow-paced

ifthebook's review

Despite not learning everything about Angharad, though, this novel still shines in the way the first did: it is ultimately a narrative about women, their relationships, and their power. It’s complex and beautiful and I definitely recommend it if you’re looking for historical fiction or if you’re looking for a King Arthur retelling of sorts.

Full review here.

crixby's review

adventurous fast-paced

leahsbooks's review

I received a copy of this book through NetGalley. I am providing an honest opinion voluntarily.

TRIGGER WARNING: captivity, gore, war, rape, slavery

After reading The Lost Queen, I couldn't wait to dive into this book. It picks up right where the last book left off - with Languoreth kept captive in her bed chamber as her husband and oldest son go off to attack her brother and his men. Her youngest daughter is in the custody of her brother, training to become a Wisdom Keeper.

The story is told from three points of view, that of Languoreth, Lailoken, and Angharad, which allows the reader to see the story unfold from different perspectives. It does jump back and forth in time a bit, with certain chapters being told out of sequence. At first it threw me for a loop, but each chapter is clearly marked with the point of view and time period. Each character is struggling with their own issues - Languoreth is facing her feelings of powerlessness, frustration, and fear for her loved ones who are on differing sides of the conflict, Lailoken has his own frustration, anger, and guilt, and Angharad deals with the aftermath of exposure to trauma and abandonment.

It was a riveting story that I couldn't put down. I read the entire book in a single day, even as I promised myself that I would try to read it slower and make it last. The amount of historical research is incredible and comes together to make a realistic and detailed story. I could empathize with the characters and the horrifically difficult situations that each were forced to confront. The characters are realistic, well-rounded, and perfectly imperfect, making it easy to empathize with them.

There is a lot of action in the story, and it centers around war and battles. There is a lot of gore and scenes of war, but there's also a focus on healing, family, forgiveness, and nature. I love the series, the character, the setting, and feeling like I've been immersed into 6th century Scotland. I've only just finished the book and I am already looking forward to the final book in the trilogy!

vivacious_reads's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

laurasalgarolo's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

erraticelle's review

adventurous fast-paced

The Forgotten Kingdom is a fantastic sequel to The Lost Queen and I actually liked it better than the first book in the trilogy. Signe Pike's writing continues to be wonderful to read. Her prose is easy to fall into, yet presents so much information. The constant feed of historical content was nearly effortless to absorb and it was all given in a way that felt interesting and compelling.

The pace is really fast in this installment and there is a lot of action that kept me on the edge of my seat for a good majority of the novel. The multiple POV approach again worked wonderfully for this story and allowed for so much more of the picture to be painted. I particularly enjoyed the Angharad storyline, though she is mostly a fictionalized character. I loved how Pike was able to weave in so much historical content and introduce so many of the players during this tumultuous time in Scottish history. It is incredibly clear that a lot of research went into the construction of the novel and that a lot of care was taken to piece all of it together. I am not able to verify its accuracy as my knowledge of this location and time period is very minimal, but others with greater knowledge than mine have stated that the contents do largely ring true.

The characters continued to improve in this installment. They grew quite a bit of depth, becoming even more rounded and complicated as individuals. The introduction of new characters created an additional level of complexity to the story that worked quite well. The actions and interactions of the characters felt more natural in this than the original novel and the overall feel of the book was one of greater writing maturity. I enjoyed being able to witness this progression.

I have really enjoyed this series so far and I am itching to read the final book in the trilogy. This is a section of historical fiction that I am not well versed in, but reading Pike's work has definitely inspired me to look for more works written during this time period.

** Disclaimer: I received a copy of this novel from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. **